cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2006, 10:16 PM   #1
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default I'm going to give George Allen some credit.

I have been pretty down on this guy for the stupidity he showed at times in his campaign. I have said to many people that as a Republican I feel that Allen did us all a favor by more or less eliminating himself from presidential contention.

That said, with control of the US Senate hanging in the balance and a difference of only 7k votes with over 2M cast between him and Jim Webb, Allen did the gentlemanly thing and conceded. This is something that many over the last six years have not been able to bring themselves to do and Allen deserves credit for it.

Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:19 PM   #2
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

It's always Republicans doing the gentlemanly thing and conceding. The Democrats seem to fight until the bitter end.

Interesting how there hasn't been much in the way of fraud allegations. I wonder why...
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:29 PM   #3
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
It's always Republicans doing the gentlemanly thing and conceding. The Democrats seem to fight until the bitter end.

Interesting how there hasn't been much in the way of fraud allegations. I wonder why...
Using the words "always" and "never" is a recipe for stereotype. Take a look at Karl Rove's record in Alabama and see if you still feel that way.

Utah Dan, I agree with you that it was a classy move by Macaca. I am not surprised since I think he is an honorable person. I much prefer him to some of the other characters in his party. It is nice to see someone placing stability above their own interests (of course, I don't think he would have done it if there was much of a chance that he would eventually prevail, but it is still an honorable move).
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:39 PM   #4
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Using the words "always" and "never" is a recipe for stereotype. Take a look at Karl Rove's record in Alabama and see if you still feel that way.
Sorry, didn't mean always as in 100% of the time. More like 99% of the time.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:06 AM   #5
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Now that is more like it.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:21 AM   #6
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post

There have been a lot of fraud allegations. They just aren't widely publicized right now because the media doesn't care much (and because they don't impact the overall result).

It was a good move by Allen. Of course, if he has any presidential aspirations left in him, it was the only choice he could make. Dragging this out would have ruined any salvageable political career he could have (and I don't think it could ever involve the presidency at this point).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #7
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post
There have been a lot of fraud allegations. They just aren't widely publicized right now because the media doesn't care much (and because they don't impact the overall result).

It was a good move by Allen. Of course, if he has any presidential aspirations left in him, it was the only choice he could make. Dragging this out would have ruined any salvageable political career he could have (and I don't think it could ever involve the presidency at this point).
I don't think he can ever run for president now, but he may well run for governor again or for the seat currently occupied by John Warner were he not to run for re-relection two years from now as there is some indication he might.

If not, I'm sure that McGuire Woods, Hunton & Williams and Williams Mullen are all keeping a seat warm for him.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:48 PM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
If not, I'm sure that McGuire Woods, Hunton & Williams and Williams Mullen are all keeping a seat warm for him.
In our experience politians provide benefit to law firms that is intangible at best, especially if he or she remains politically ambitiuos. They're expensive and in terms of tangibles are ususally money losers. First, they're invariably not great or particularly motivated lawyers. They usually haven't practiced a lot of law and often while possessing a high quotient of social intelligence they aren't that bright in a classical sense. They possess a lot of contacts but often aren't motivated or disposed to draw on them to attract legal business. From I've seen and our expeience they draw a big salary and use the firm as a place to camp until the right race opens up again, extremely distracted by their first love. I'm not saying don't hire them, but the returns for a law firm focused on the bottom line are more often than not intangible, like donating to charity.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:52 PM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post
He's finished as a presidential candidate. Yes, (as Tex notes) there have been a few come back stories like Nixon, who won the presidency after losing the governor's race in California. But these comeback sories never involved anyone bearing the stigma of racially insensitive remarks (Nixon's racism and antisemitism didn't become public until after he was elected).

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:40 PM   #10
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
In our experience politians provide benefit to law firms that is intangible at best, especially if he or she remains politically ambitiuos. They're expensive and in terms of tangibles are ususally money losers. First, they're invariably not great or particularly motivated lawyers. They usually haven't practiced a lot of law and often while possessing a high quotient of social intelligence they aren't that bright in a classical sense. They possess a lot of contacts but often aren't motivated or disposed to draw on them to attract legal business. From I've seen and our expeience they draw a big salary and use the firm as a place to camp until the right race opens up again, extremely distracted by their first love. I'm not saying don't hire them, but the returns for a law firm focused on the bottom line are more often than not intangible, like donating to charity.
Could be, but has your firm had an ex-senator or governor? I think that is a little different.

I will say, however, that one of the principles in my firm was a two term delegate to the VA general assembly and while the firm took a financial hit while he was a legislator (it is a part time job obviously) the dividends afterwords in our community have been enormous in terms of the work that comes to us because people know him and trust him.

In the case of Allen, it would just be someone providing him a salary and getting some name recognition until he moves on to his next political job.