cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2006, 07:41 PM   #21
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I loved Les Miserables. One of my all time favorites.
I liked Les Miserables when it wasn't boring.

I really like the parts in the cabin/courthouse in the middle of the woods when they were wrongly convicting a man of the Crime that Jean Valjean was guilty of and being a Priest at the time, finally revealing that he was the perpetrator.

Good stuff.....but a lot of boring stuff too.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:09 PM   #22
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You have to have more than naughty words to offend/titilate me (I'm the dude, man).

Explain to me what makes the book so good. Just seemed tedious to me.
At the time I read it, I identified with Holden Caulfield -- a bitter young man growing up into a world for which he had contempt. This line from the book typifies that feeling:

"I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say "Fuck you." I'm positive, in fact."

I'm sure I wouldn't enjoy the book as much today as I did then, but at the time it was a powerful book for me.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:25 PM   #23
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
At the time I read it, I identified with Holden Caulfield -- a bitter young man growing up into a world for which he had contempt. This line from the book typifies that feeling:

"I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say "Fuck you." I'm positive, in fact."

I'm sure I wouldn't enjoy the book as much today as I did then, but at the time it was a powerful book for me.
I see. That's probably my problem. I read the book about two decades too late.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:35 PM   #24
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Geez Rocky stole my thunder with Atlas Shrugged and Les Miserables. I read them back to back because my then girlfriend put them on a reading list we had for one another. I put Catch 22 and Don QUixote, which are the two funniest books that I have ever read on there and she rewards me with that garbage? Then, of course, after that torture, she dumped me.

I must say that the Scarlet Letter is an awful book that has not yet been mentioned.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:40 PM   #25
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Geez Rocky stole my thunder with Atlas Shrugged and Les Miserables. I read them back to back because my then girlfriend put them on a reading list we had for one another. I put Catch 22 and Don QUixote, which are the two funniest books that I have ever read on there and she rewards me with that garbage? Then, of course, after that torture, she dumped me.

I must say that the Scarlet Letter is an awful book that has not yet been mentioned.
I also read today that they're planning on bringing Atlas Shrugged to the Big Screen with Angelina Jolie playing the lead character.

Ugh......the movie will be 1905832850 hours long.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:47 PM   #26
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I also read today that they're planning on bringing Atlas Shrugged to the Big Screen with Angelina Jolie playing the lead character.

Ugh......the movie will be 1905832850 hours long.
Atlas Shrugged was voted the most influential book of the 20th century in some book list.

I finished it a little while ago and posted my review. Not bad, not great. I can see Angelina as Dagny Taggart if they duct tape her breasts. I always pictured Dagny as flat chested.

Every time I drive by the refinery by Wood Cross I think of Wyatt's flame.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:34 PM   #27
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Atlas Shrugged was voted the most influential book of the 20th century in some book list.

I finished it a little while ago and posted my review. Not bad, not great. I can see Angelina as Dagny Taggart if they duct tape her breasts. I always pictured Dagny as flat chested.

Every time I drive by the refinery by Wood Cross I think of Wyatt's flame.
Me too....funny how I've never seen a buxom feminist.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:48 PM   #28
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post

Yes. Scarlet Letter was horrid.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:15 PM   #29
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The Great Apostasy by Talmage is the worst.

The Scarlet Letter, Moby Dick, and Gibbon are outstanding.
Il Pad, my 16 year old daughter agrees with you, FWIW. Said she couldn't feel any sympathy for Hester Prynne. Kids these days.

Catcher in the Rye isn't terrible, necessarily, but it's monstrously overrated, like To Kill a Mockingbird, Possession, and some others.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:22 PM   #30
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

The Great Apostasy is the worst book you have ever read? Hard to beleive you are being serious about that.

Catcher in the Rye is over rated, IMO. It appealed to the class of educators and ciritcs who were trying to bridge the gap between themsleves and the social upheaval they saw coming but didn't fully understand and they thought it would help them 'relate.' It's OK, but not great.

TO Kill A Mockingbrid Is a very good book, I think. It's appeal may depend somewhat on where you are in your own life. I have watched my 14 yo daughter read it this year and she has been very moved and involved in a way that I have a hard time remembering.

Moby DIck? For me, any book with a maori chracter is A-OK.

The worst book I ever read was one of those "world's greatest salesman" specials from the 60s. What a piece of tripe.