cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2006, 02:00 AM   #21
JazzyUte

JazzyUte is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos
Nice try Utes. You guys get an outsider coach come in for a few years and win a few games, then they leave and you start over. This doesn't make you a top 30 program, it makes you Wyoming.
Right and outside of Edwards, what exactly is BYU's history/tradition? You had a great 20-year run and prior to that you were shit and since that you've been shit. Hardly a top-30 program by any stretch of the imagination.
JazzyUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:14 AM   #22
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No, but that's what someone asked me about.
Avg rank 38 for #30 total combined over the period.
Got it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:22 AM   #23
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyUte
Right and outside of Edwards, what exactly is BYU's history/tradition? You had a great 20-year run and prior to that you were shit and since that you've been shit. Hardly a top-30 program by any stretch of the imagination.
Even during the dark ages when you were beating BYU 9 out of 10 games, what in the blue hell did Utah ever accomplish? BYU has had a far more sustained period of excellence than anything Ute has ever been able to pull out of its butt.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:40 AM   #24
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug
Even during the dark ages when you were beating BYU 9 out of 10 games, what in the blue hell did Utah ever accomplish? BYU has had a far more sustained period of excellence than anything Ute has ever been able to pull out of its butt.
My, but your bitter. I guess losing 4 straight to the rival will do that, eh?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:44 AM   #25
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I'm not going to engage in a debate with a Ute who wants to talk about football records during the Great Depression.
Oh, so then it must be true that college football only counts during the Edwards era. The fact that numbers don't lie is easily ignored by you folks. Whether or not you want to discuss it, what I posted is true and can't be disputed.

Why don't you just admit that you are incapable of objectively when it comes to the rivalry between Utah and BYU?

Old 09-19-2006, 02:55 AM   #26
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Oh, so then it must be true that college football only counts during the Edwards era. The fact that numbers don't lie is easily ignored by you folks. Whether or not you want to discuss it, what I posted is true and can't be disputed.

Why don't you just admit that you are incapable of objectively when it comes to the rivalry between Utah and BYU?
We dominate you when it comes to recruiting base, fan base, attendance, facilities, history (except for when you go back to when they wore leather helmets), etc. That is what makes and sustains a program. You need to get lucky on a coaching hire outside, which you did, to find success outside of those factors.

We got unlucky on a bad hire but success will come back because the base environment for a successful program is still there.

The only issue up for question is whether BYU admin is committed to sustain its successful program and not let the church issues get in the way. I worry that their lack of commitment to sustaining success led to another bad hire. That bad hire may become a good coach over time or we may have to wait him out or we may have to realize that BYU admin is not committed to football success. We'll see.

But nothing is more sure to all observers that you guys are capped out at a level of success that is far below us.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:56 AM   #27
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute

I don't think only the Edwards Era counts, but I don't think you should really put much stock in anything prior to the mid-50's or so, at least when it comes to the rivalry. Utah was a much larger school, a real University. BYU was a small school with few students and limited resources. A four-year Snow College, if you will.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:15 AM   #28
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
We're not a crappy program, so let's not compare ourselves to Utah, New Mexico, Louisiana Tech, etc.
Hollow words coming after the Utes own a what, 70% winning percentage against BYU the past dozen years, victories in the past four years, and the Utes beating a number of ranked teams in recent history when it's been God knows how long since BYU has beaten one. You don't see me trumpeting Georgetown's trip to the Rose Bowl.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:31 AM   #29
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
Hollow words coming after the Utes own a what, 70% winning percentage against BYU the past dozen years, victories in the past four years, and the Utes beating a number of ranked teams in recent history when it's been God knows how long since BYU has beaten one. You don't see me trumpeting Georgetown's trip to the Rose Bowl.
Stick to Mormon bashing. You're better at it.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:41 AM   #30
JazzyUte

JazzyUte is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug
And yet even with all that success, your team still hasn't done jack shit since 2001. It must be nice knowing your team's best days happened when I wasn't A) alive and B) just born. BYU has nothing to hang its hat on when it comes to post-Edwards. Utah at least was something before Urban Meyer and seems to be something post-Urban Meyer as well.
JazzyUte is offline   Reply With Quote