cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 07:02 PM   #11
El Guapo

El Guapo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Mine is not rooted in what the cause is.

It simply is against biological purpose and design.

There is a reason for male and female.

And there are economic benefits for the union and social benefits.

There is no purpose and is no economic benefit for the same sex union.

Anything against logical design or purpose should be not treated the same, nor would your hypotheticals affect my opinion how we should view it.

I don't believe if we find genetic disposition toward bipolar disorder, pedofilia or other social disorders that we should deem them socially acceptable simply because of genetic causation.

I am certain the Lord would primarily focus on the lack of an economic benefit in this issue. It correlates perfectly with my view that there is nothing more important in this world than money.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:02 PM   #12
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
So in other words you would see a genetic disposition towards homosexuality as a sickness?

What's the purpose of that sickness in the eternal realm of things if it comes from creation?
What would the purpose of any sexual perversion be? There's quite a lot of them--most aren't sanctioned by God at least the way I understand the gospel.

Take it further, it's not just about sex, why would God create man with any genetic disposition to commit any kind of sin? What good would a genetic disposition to lose my temper give me?

Putting off the natural man seems to be a real basic and logical part of the gospel. Why the hang up with it?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:05 PM   #13
El Guapo

El Guapo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Entirely false. The primordial purpose of sex is procreation. Anything inhibiting normal sexual functioning in the performing of this primordial purpose is linked to disorder. This does exclude the secondary purpose of uniting emotional and recreating, but if sex by design is only recreating, then just have gang bang places. Nature did not intend for it to be so.
This is EXACTLY why sterile individuals should be prohibited from having sex. They are only doing it for fun. The very fact that they only view sex as a fun activity is also, coincidentally, why I believe sterile individuals should not be allowed to adopt.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:47 PM   #14
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
if it was proven that homosexualism was not a choice, and a matter of genetic disposition?
No because I already believe that (regardless of whether it is nature, nature or both) SSA is not chosen any more than liking pineapple on your pizza.

Quote:
Do you think the stance of the church would change?
I doubt it because regardless of the cause, the behavior (though not the SSA alone) is antithetical to the plan of salvation as we understand it. I think the church sees it as it sees any other desire to sin: not something that anyone chooses, but something that one much choose how they will respond to. There is an appropriate way and an inappropriate way.

Do you think that the church's stance on pedophelia would change if it could be proven that attraction to little boys was genetic and not a choice?

Quote:
Would this affect the way you view God and this probation?
I can't think of why it should. For reasons I don't understand fully, many people come into this world afflicted with all kinds of desires and psychological problems that cripple them and make having a happy life very hard. I have an uncle in my family with severe OCD and it is hard to describe how difficult and bizzare his life is. No clue why that is his test, but it is. Having accepted that some people are stuck with desires and thought processes which are not compatible with what the rest of us would think of as normal and happy, it is not hard to for me to believe that the test for some people is SSA.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:57 PM   #15
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan
No because I already believe that (regardless of whether it is nature, nature or both) SSA is not chosen any more than liking pineapple on your pizza.

I doubt it because regardless of the cause, the behavior (though not the SSA alone) is antithetical to the plan of salvation as we understand it. I think the church sees it as it sees any other desire to sin: not something that anyone chooses, but something that one much choose how they will respond to. There is an appropriate way and an inappropriate way.

Do you think that the church's stance on pedophelia would change if it could be proven that attraction to little boys was genetic and not a choice?

I can't think of why it should. For reasons I don't understand fully, many people come into this world afflicted with all kinds of desires and psychological problems that cripple them and make having a happy life very hard. I have an uncle in my family with severe OCD and it is hard to describe how difficult and bizzare his life is. No clue why that is his test, but it is. Having accepted that some people are stuck with desires and thought processes which are not compatible with what the rest of us would think of as normal and happy, it is not hard to for me to believe that the test for some people is SSA.
I was going to post my answers and explanations, but UD already did it for me. What he said.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:21 PM   #16
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Jay Santos said: Take it further, it's not just about sex, why would God create man with any genetic disposition to commit any kind of sin?

My response: Exactly.

For me it comes to my feelings and beliefs based in spiritual roots. I personally do not believe that Heavenly Father in the creation of our physical bodies, consciously chose to create someone that goes against the plan of procreation and salvation. Since I believe the Plan of Salvation is perfect, I do not believe that he would in essence create a built in defect that directly correlates with sin thus rendering his plan irrelevant.

Some will come back and say "what about those born into alcoholism and drug addiction?" That's an entirely different dynamic where the physical choice of those kids brought into the worlds were placed squarely on the heads of their fathers and mothers and were not placed there in a physical root by Heavenly Father.

Where as a child is born into a physical addiction forced upon him, they've essentially in some ways had choice viciously ripped away from them.

Thus I believe that people are not "Born Gay".
Old 08-11-2006, 08:27 PM   #17
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos
Take it further, it's not just about sex, why would God create man with any genetic disposition to commit any kind of sin?
He didn't he deemed us perfect as we are upon creation.

When Adam, aka us, was created God saw what he had done and said that it was good, that he was satisfied with the creation.

In other words God is ok with the homosexual.

I think the ramifications of 'discovering' that homosexualism is not a choice, but born with, will be far greater than simply the status quo.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:17 PM   #18
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Jay Santos said: Take it further, it's not just about sex, why would God create man with any genetic disposition to commit any kind of sin?

My response: Exactly.

For me it comes to my feelings and beliefs based in spiritual roots. I personally do not believe that Heavenly Father in the creation of our physical bodies, consciously chose to create someone that goes against the plan of procreation and salvation. Since I believe the Plan of Salvation is perfect, I do not believe that he would in essence create a built in defect that directly correlates with sin thus rendering his plan irrelevant.

Some will come back and say "what about those born into alcoholism and drug addiction?" That's an entirely different dynamic where the physical choice of those kids brought into the worlds were placed squarely on the heads of their fathers and mothers and were not placed there in a physical root by Heavenly Father.

Where as a child is born into a physical addiction forced upon him, they've essentially in some ways had choice viciously ripped away from them.

Thus I believe that people are not "Born Gay".
You missed my point, dude. Like you missed it so bad, it almost took talent to miss it that bad.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:22 PM   #19
jay santos

Quote:
He didn't he deemed us perfect as we are upon creation.

When Adam, aka us, was created God saw what he had done and said that it was good, that he was satisfied with the creation.

In other words God is ok with the homosexual.

I think the ramifications of 'discovering' that homosexualism is not a choice, but born with, will be far greater than simply the status quo.
Do some people have a genetic predisposition to:

get hooked on alcohol or drugs
overeat
do the gay sex (doug dannger voice)
any other sexual perversion which i won't name for decency sake
lose their temper
beat their wives
chew their fingernails
etc
etc

The answer is yes. I believe they do. What's so perfect about that? You take an intellectual view of the gospel which usually I think is OK, but this thing that man is perfect is completely bonkers to me.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:06 PM   #20
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos
The answer is yes. I believe they do. What's so perfect about that? You take an intellectual view of the gospel which usually I think is OK, but this thing that man is perfect is completely bonkers to me.
Genesis 2:

26 ¶ And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

So God created us in his own image and own likeness. What is the image and likeness of God? Perfection, power, love, peace, etc.

So is it a stretch that we are perfected beings already?

Moses 2:

27 And I, God, created man in mine own image, in the image of mine Only Begotten created I him; male and female created I them.

God created us in his own image and in the image of his Only Begotten, both beings are perfect.

In the garden God told Adam essetially one thing, do not judge. God already made the judgement that we were good, we were perfect, we were exactly how he wanted us, it is now our job to embrace that accept that, and move forward to further light and knowledge.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote