cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2006, 06:21 PM   #11
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski
Memo to self: Must re-think current strategy of avoiding high-level church callings.
Just keep showing up to church wearing a non-white shirt, you should be perfectly fine.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:35 PM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk
Just keep showing up to church wearing a non-white shirt, you should be perfectly fine.
Man, that's what I always thought, but perhaps I am singling myself out for a calling to the stake presidency. (shudder)
Old 08-10-2006, 06:53 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Recently heard the story over the pulpit about a GA coming in to call a new stake president. Interviewed a bunch of people. Nope. Interviewed more. Nope. Finally had interviewed everyone they could think of. Still said, I have not found the new Stake President, is there ANYONE else? So someone mentions that a guy just moved in from out of town last week, living in motel. They call him in, and he was called to be the Stake President. No one even knew him. And the rest of the story was that it went well, etc.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

don't you have to be a member for a year to get Melchizedek Priesthood? or at least 6 months? I'm pretty sure you have to wait a year to be endowed?

But then again, does one need to have the MP if you are literal descendent of Aaron or whatever?

"Many are called, few are chosen."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #15
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

This same nonmember had been given callings in our mutual home ward when he was still living out here in LALA Land. The guy is a born leader. He just can't get himself over that one hump... belief.

Last edited by Robin; 08-10-2006 at 08:24 PM.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:05 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Secret to avoiding a calling,

be absent once a month, don't wear ties, do your hometeaching but don't report it, sit in the back, don't attend functions, make sarcastic remarks, and stay fit, avoiding all appearances of the Priesthood gut and butt.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:22 PM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Reminds me of a story:

A few years ago my wacky neighbor went in to the stake president and told him that God had revealed to him that he was supposed to be the next bishop of the ward. The stake president said "Umm... Thanks. If he gives me that same revelation, I will give you a call." My neighbor was pretty ticked off about it for a while. The rest of us breathed a huge sigh of relief.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:04 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski
Reminds me of a story:

A few years ago my wacky neighbor went in to the stake president and told him that God had revealed to him that he was supposed to be the next bishop of the ward. The stake president said "Umm... Thanks. If he gives me that same revelation, I will give you a call." My neighbor was pretty ticked off about it for a while. The rest of us breathed a huge sigh of relief.
Are you neighbors to Robin? Hmmm, the pieces are coming together Larry.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:07 PM   #19
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

A friend of mine very recently had her inactive husband called into the bishopric. He accepted the call and turned his life around as far as I know.

I thought it was the strangest thing I'd ever heard, but since I've shared the story I've heard many similar ones. If I didn't know the guy personally, I probably wouldn't have believed it.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:18 PM   #20
Faith

Faith is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Robin]

Last night Faith got a call from a good friend of ours. The woman is LDS, and the hubby is not. He is a drinker and an agnostic to the core. The friend tells Faith that they were called in to speak to the Stake Pres., who tells the man, "I have received word from God that you are supposed to be the Bishop of your local ward." He replied, "I drink and I am agnostic, so no thank you."

Let me correct Robin's version of the story a bit. My friend DID call me last night. I don't think that her husband is agnostic, although he drinks. He grew up VERY catholic, doesn't practice now, but he DOES pray with his family, so I think that he does feel like he has some sort of relationship with God. He is a great person and he has always been supportive of his wife's activity in the church, they have even had missionaries over on numerous occasions, and he would debate religion with them in a goodnatured way. Anyhow, my friend told me that the stake secretary hunted her down and told her that the Stake President requested to meet with her and her husband. When the came to the appointment the Stake President said that he was not one to beat around the bush, and that he felt that my friend's husband needed to be in the Ward Bishopric. He said that he obviously knew that he was not a member, and that they would have to go through the appropriate steps, but that he felt inspired to call him to this position. My friend's husband said he would have to think about it for a few days. He ended up rejecting the call. I wanted to ask my friend about more details and about her husband's feelings about the entire situation, but her family was in the middle of a road trip when she called me.
Faith is offline   Reply With Quote