cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default With Miami and Florida jobs open...

....does Kyle Whittingham come into play?

I could see KW turning down Miami. I don't think he could turn down Florida. Follow in his mentor's footsteps.

Probably a longshot for Florida to be offered to KW. They will probably go after MSU coach Mullen. Proven success in the SEC with UF ties.

But now Miami could see themselves playing second fiddle to Florida's search. And maybe KW becomes attractive.

Here's an interesting scenario. Imagine that KW is lured away. Whether it is Miami/Florida/Stanford. And then Mike Leach is hired at Utah. The Pirate in the Pac-10. That would drive those old-money liberals in the Pac-10 crazy.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:52 PM   #2
WetHotUtah

WetHotUtah is on a distinguished road

I'd sure like to see him stay in Utah. With Meyer heading out for greener pastures before him, and Utah still hanging in as a major force in college football, it looks like Utah could become the kind of hometown to grow a football program the likes of UT, Bama and Florida. It would be sad to see him leave just as things are getting interesting.
WetHotUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
dandyfan

dandyfan is on a distinguished road

I don't think KWhit bails. He didn't show much interest when TN wanted him. Of course the money with Florida would be more than TN but just maybe it isn't about the money.

I think also from pressure standpoint he won't either. He isn't expected to compete in the Pac 12. However if he goes to Florida or Miami he will be expected to win. I don't know if he really wants to be put in that position.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:52 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

That came and passed much more quickly than I thought it would, with very little disruption to the college football landscape.

Miami goes with the Temple coach. The college football world will hardly be wringing their hands wondering who Temple is going to hire. And Florida with a guy who has never before been a HC.

The only thing interesting about the Muschamp hire is that it means BYU will be facing a Texas team next year with two new coordinators--both OC and DC. Some rumors that Randy Shannon might become the DC at UT. And Major Applewhite may be promoted to OC. Neither here nor there, the players will decide the game on the field.

I'm kinda disappointed. I've been known to like a little chaos from time to time.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote