cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heaps or bust?

From reading spring practice reports, I don't see how BYU wins with anybody other than Heaps. And Heaps will take some lumps but how could a team win with another weaker armed QB?

http://www.abc4.com/sports/story/Nel...Qaj0TUFhg.cspx

Reading between the lines, even Bronco recognizes Nelson as being weak-armed. We saw how much compensation BYU had to make to get around Hall's weak arm. But Nelson made Hall look like John Elway.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
JJS

JJS is on a distinguished road

What is broncos past with playing freshman (JoePA refuses to start Freshman)? I think heaps has more natural ability, but who knows where he is at maturity wise? I think Bronco would rather have someone in there who will turn the ball over the lest. Heaps will have to deal with some fairly good defenses if he starts. Freshman QBs are notorious for being flustered and throwing INTs. If Heaps can show patience and prove to the coaches that he will turn the ball over less than Riley then I think he starts. But I don't know about his maturity. What do you make of Heaps not being able to talk to the media yet? Is there some sort of NCAA rule for this or is this about the coaching staff not sure of how he will handle himself?

For the record I think they should put in Heaps regardless of maturity. I see next season as a four loss season regardless. Put him in there, let him get experience.
JJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
Yz1

Yz1 is on a distinguished road

Team rules say freshman cannot talk to the media until after their first game.
---
Why is arm strength all you seem to care about? I have heard many coaches and scouts on the pro and college level say that they would choose an accurate quarterback over a strong arm 100% of the time. If Heaps is missing open receivers, who cares how strong his arm is. That is what made Max great. He was accurate and could thread the needle very well, so the offense was just as potent as if a strong armed quarterback was playing.
Yz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS View Post
What is broncos past with playing freshman (JoePA refuses to start Freshman)? I think heaps has more natural ability, but who knows where he is at maturity wise? I think Bronco would rather have someone in there who will turn the ball over the lest. Heaps will have to deal with some fairly good defenses if he starts. Freshman QBs are notorious for being flustered and throwing INTs. If Heaps can show patience and prove to the coaches that he will turn the ball over less than Riley then I think he starts. But I don't know about his maturity. What do you make of Heaps not being able to talk to the media yet? Is there some sort of NCAA rule for this or is this about the coaching staff not sure of how he will handle himself?

For the record I think they should put in Heaps regardless of maturity. I see next season as a four loss season regardless. Put him in there, let him get experience.
I don't know enough about the QB's to have anything more than an impression, no opinion.

With that said, I would think Nelson might turn the ball over more, because he'll cough it up running. That is my impression.

His arm is so weak, cornerbacks will run under the ball and be able to anticipate it. So it seems he'll throw more interceptions. Last year made me paranoid about having Nelson in as our starter. I thought Nelson looked horrible on his pass plays.