cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
Valentinus1

Valentinus1 is on a distinguished road
Default The King Follett Sermon

I'm curious, is the KFS considered official doctrine? If not, why? I'm fascinated by what it is supposed to be about but have not read it yet myself.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of it? An LDS church maybe?

Thanks.

-Teresa Moreno
Professor of Christian History and Ethics
Valentinus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:35 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinus1 View Post
I'm curious, is the KFS considered official doctrine? If not, why? I'm fascinated by what it is supposed to be about but have not read it yet myself.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of it? An LDS church maybe?

Thanks.
We're not like the Catholic Church, but a simple internet search will reveal the discourse. It's more like a discussion format.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
Valentinus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
We're not like the Catholic Church, but a simple internet search will reveal the discourse. It's more like a discussion format.
Thanks.

Archaea,

What is your take on it?

-Teresa Moreno
Old 09-28-2009, 11:47 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinus1 View Post
Thanks.

Archaea,

What is your take on it?
It has been a while since I've read it, so I'd have to re-read it to remember the issues, frankly. It's been at least fifteen years since I last read it. I remember it provoking thought, containing thoughts consistent with LDS theology. Given how it's bandied about, I wouldn't provide anything more than that, just as I shouldn't have said Origen's works were destroyed when they were not. My memory is faulty at times.

Just re-read it.

It is kinda rambling don't you think.

http://mldb.byu.edu/follett.htm

Given the time, 1844, I find his closing remarks, quite good.

Quote:
I have intended my remarks for all, both rich and poor, bond and free, great and small. I have no enmity against any man. I love you all. I am your best friend, and if persons miss their mark, it is their own fault. If I reprove a man and he hates me, he is a fool; for I love all men, especially these my brethren and sisters. I rejoice in hearing the testimony of my aged friends. You never knew my heart; no man knows my history; I cannot tell it. I shall never undertake it. If I had not experienced what I have, I should not have believed it myself. I never did harm any man since I have been born into the world. My voice is always for peace, I cannot lie down until all my work is finished. I never think any evil nor do anything to the harm of my fellowman. When I am called at the trump of the archangel and weighed in the balance, you will all know me then. I add no more. God bless you all. Amen.

Last edited by Archaea; 09-29-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:28 AM   #5
Valentinus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It has been a while since I've read it, so I'd have to re-read it to remember the issues, frankly. It's been at least fifteen years since I last read it. I remember it provoking thought, containing thoughts consistent with LDS theology. Given how it's bandied about, I wouldn't provide anything more than that, just as I shouldn't have said Origen's works were destroyed when they were not. My memory is faulty at times.

Just re-read it.

It is kinda rambling don't you think.

http://mldb.byu.edu/follett.htm

Given the time, 1844, I find his closing remarks, quite good.
A fascinating talk. I would have to read it a few more times before I really began to understand what JS was really getting at. It is a peculiar 'non-doctrine' (?). It does seem in harmony with what my active brother and sisters believe as well as my grandparents.

It does seem like it is rambling. And you're right, the ending remarks were well said. JS speaks a little weird but I think once I become more familiar with how he speaks I will be better able to understand the message. Whether I agree or not.

Thanks for the link.

-Teresa Moreno