cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A mother in heaven

LDS females gives talk on Heavenly Mother on Mother's day in sacrament meeting.

http://amy-gordon.blogspot.com/2009/...in-heaven.html

Talking about Heavenly Mother is old school, original Mormonism. Something that the neo-Mormons cringe at.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Good thing she quoted Bruce McConkie in her talk. That will give her some serious CG cred.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Mother in Heaven is this weird subject, because on the one hand we have so many general authorities who spoke of it and believed in it, but we have a more modern regime who have 1) not talked about it, 2) discouraged talk about it, and 3) excommunicated members who talked of or advocated praying to a Mother in Heaven in their personal lives (correct me if I'm wrong). So now we have this strange situation where speaking of a Mother in Heaven is a subject that is potentially dangerous and chilling.

Is the church that Joseph Smith envisioned? That apologizes for proxy baptisms of Jews? Where members think a member who quotes general authorities talking of a mother in heaven in a sacrament talk is brave?

Not a fan of neo-Mormonism.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Mother in Heaven is this weird subject, because on the one hand we have so many general authorities who spoke of it and believed in it, but we have a more modern regime who have 1) not talked about it, 2) discouraged talk about it, and 3) excommunicated members who talked of or advocated praying to a Mother in Heaven in their personal lives (correct me if I'm wrong). So now we have this strange situation where speaking of a Mother in Heaven is a subject that is potentially dangerous and chilling.
Interestingly, all the quotes that woman used consist of leaders reasoning about a Mother God. I'm not aware of any revelatory statements on the idea beyond that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Is the church that Joseph Smith envisioned?
It doesn't matter. Joseph Smith is not who God put in charge.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote