cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LDS ethics of survival

I was talking to one of the brothers who went on the scouting campout with me. He is older and wiser than me, and of a similar mentality that preparation is important.

He has been the go-to guy on emergency preparedness in his former stake, and is very knowledgeable, but a man of humble means.

So what do you do in an emergency catastrophic situation, where you have prepared, and others have not, despite having been warned to prepare?

Do you share, and hope that God will save your miraculously, after all it is a zero-sum game, excepting heavenly intervention? Should you be the widow who gives all? Or is the parable of the 10 virgins more apt?

This brother told me that he was to give a talk in Sacrament meeting on preparedness. The Bishop spoke before him, and kidded around saying, "Well, we haven't done much, but I'm glad that I will have the Smiths [named changed] to rely on."

Then this Br. "Smith" got up for his talk and outlined all the sacrifices his family had made to be prepared. And then asked if other families, who had purchased 2nd and 3rd TVs, who have 2 car payments, and a large house, had made the same sacrifices. And then my friend related the parable of the 10 virgins, and said, I'm sorry, I cannot let my children go without because of your lack of sacrifice and faith.

I've heard that a lot too. "I don't have to prepare, because I'll just come to you." [Chuckle].

It is not without significance that the March Ensign (2009) that talks about preparedness and food storage also relates the parable of the 10 virgins.

Have faith brothers and sisters, life is ephemeral. Those of you that choose not to prepare, perhaps you and and your children have work that must be done on the other side of the veil. Sooner than you thought. It is the job of some to live. And for some to die. And perhaps the choice is made now, in our relative comfort without a care.

Now I asked this brother, "What if your Bishop asks you to consecrate all that you have so that it can be distributed to unprepared members?"

He says, "I don't have an answer for that yet."

Those of us that are preparing feel an obligation to encourage others to do so as well, if for simply that we prefer not to have to make these choices.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

The boy asked the man, why do we not save them?
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
The boy asked the man, why do we not save them?
Perhaps so that there could be a boy to carry the flame.

Or put the burden on the other person--if you are seriously expecting someone to let their children die to save YOUR ass, good luck with that plan.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

somewhat ironically, I got an email today that had something interesting in it, if you believe it. It was a forwarded letter from a Jason Robey "Salt Lake County Police":

Quote:
Several years ago there was a program on KATU TV in Portland, Oregon. The show was called Town Hall. The host was a man named Jack Faust. He did a show covering the topic of Emergency Preparedness. He had guests on who spoke about what kinds of preparations they had made. One of his guests made a chilling statement, “I don’t have to have supplies, but I know where he lives (pointing to the previous man). I have plenty of guns and ammunition. I plan to go take his stuff to support my family”. He was not joking, but was dead serious about using force to take what he needed from someone else to supply the unprepared needs of his family. Let me reiterate, there are people out there who will hurt you and take what you have because they can. There are lots of them who live in Salt Lake County. I know, I have talked with and arrested many of them. What if you had to deal with someone like that on your own? Are you prepared?

Here is another thought. I have spoken with people who have seen the next item happening at gun shows they have attended. Not too long ago, just prior to the Y2K scare, there was a group of individuals that were selling lists of "known" Mormons. They were selling Stake and Ward congregation directories. The idea behind this was, “Don’t worry about preparing yourselves, just use your guns to take what someone else has already prepared”. A fellow officer saw this happening.

Mormons are known for many things, including food storage and emergency preparedness. You would be wise to anticipate this sort of mentality in the case of a disaster. I have learned over the years that some people understand one thing only… the use of force. The only thing that deters them is the threat of force being used against them. Predators look for victims. If someone comes to your home armed with a gun, you have two choices. You can be victimized and probably hurt or killed, or you can be prepared to protect yourself. There are worse things that people can do to you than kill you.
Sellings lists of Mormons to be targeted? I hope these are the paranoid rumblings of an unsettled mind. But then again, never underestimate the potential evil of man.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Perhaps so that there could be a boy to carry the flame.

Or put the burden on the other person--if you are seriously expecting someone to let their children die to save YOUR ass, good luck with that plan.
The night was too dark to see the spot where their shadows would have been and they were freezing all over. The boy did not like the burden of knowing he was the reason they did not share and save another.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:30 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
somewhat ironically, I got an email today that had something interesting in it, if you believe it. It was a forwarded letter from a Jason Robey "Salt Lake County Police":

Sellings lists of Mormons to be targeted? I hope these are the paranoid rumblings of an unsettled mind. But then again, never underestimate the potential evil of man.
I may have to start wearing a tinfoil hat, because a source that I trust tells me that the selling of Mormon lists for this purpose was "confirmed by multiple independent sources." Wow.

However at the end of the day, advantage to the Mormon. He and She are prepared. I'd rather have food in the hold, than a paper list.