cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2006, 12:16 AM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default Interesting segment on Glenn Beck

show regarding the conflict between Hezbollah and Israel.

Granted I know Glenn Beck isn't for everyone, just an interesting observation he made.

When he went to Israel a couple of years ago and went to the Israeli/Lebanon border the stark contrast was amazing. On the Israeli side were a couple of barb wired fences, a mine field and some soldiers from their outpost.

On the other side of the border, were some Hezbollah soldiers standing guard next to a billboard. On that billboard were pictures of a Hezbollah terrorist,,,I refuse call them soliders, holding the head of a be-headed Israeli soldier.

Next to that billboard were 2 flags. The Hezbollah flag and the United Nations flag.

It was interesting to see this.

I don't understand how an entire culture (Hezbollah) can literally teach hate from the womb. In their textbooks they teach of hating and killing Jews and Zionists. It's going to take a couple of generations at the very least to correct this blatant hatred.

I think we all realize that things will get worse before they get better but good hell.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:42 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The Palestinians do have a beef. A lot of the pro-Israeli folks say "that was a long time ago, get over it." Well, it wasn't THAT long ago.

As far as I am concerned they have both made mistakes. And believe me, there will be an Israeli civilian die for everyone one of the scores of Lebanese civilians that are being killed right now. Not saying it is right, but that is how it is.

I was very opposed to the Israeli settler's movement, and I was pleased to see the Israelis move away from it. As far as I was concerned, had they kept it going, they were sending the message "we are not serious about peace."

I don't know that our support of Israel is really in our interest. These people hate the Israelis and then they seem them driving OUR tanks, firing OUR missiles, flying OUR planes. No wonder they hate us.

We should have had the balls to stop the settlement movement a long time ago. George Bush the first was smart to make it an issue.

Neither side is really serious about peace. Neither wants to make the hard choices. So, I hold no real hope for peace.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:16 AM   #3
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters

Neither side is really serious about peace. Neither wants to make the hard choices. So, I hold no real hope for peace.
I disagree with that. I'm not saying that the Palestinians have no grievances or that Israel is 100% right, not by a longshot. But to say they're equally unserious about peace has no basis in reality to me. I think if the Arabs put down their arms, there would be a good chance at peace. I think if the Israelis put down their arms, they'd be wiped off the map.

This is not just about the Palestinians. It's about the Palestinians being used by their Arab neighbors and Iran as cannon fodder in their ongoing war to destroy Israel. Again, not that I think that our middle east policy should automatically be "what's good for Israel is good for us", but the Israeli's are in a fight for their very existance and their neighbors are not.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:18 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman
I disagree with that. I'm not saying that the Palestinians have no grievances or that Israel is 100% right, not by a longshot. But to say they're equally unserious about peace has no basis in reality to me. I think if the Arabs put down their arms, there would be a good chance at peace. I think if the Israelis put down their arms, they'd be wiped off the map.

This is not just about the Palestinians. It's about the Palestinians being used by their Arab neighbors and Iran as cannon fodder in their ongoing war to destroy Israel. Again, not that I think that our middle east policy should automatically be "what's good for Israel is good for us", but the Israeli's are in a fight for their very existance and their neighbors are not.
That's a hard sell to a group of people who hear bombs every night, who have no electricity, no economy. I'll bet they feel like they are in a fight for their existence.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 04:46 AM   #5
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's a hard sell to a group of people who hear bombs every night, who have no electricity, no economy. I'll bet they feel like they are in a fight for their existence.
Well, they're taking it out on the wrong people. The Palestinians MAY have been screwed over, but it was by the British, the UN, and their Arab neighbors who refused to take them in. They may feel like they're in a fight for their existence, but it's a fight they've perpetuated. If they'd stop fighting and let go of this foolish notion that they're going to drive the Jews back into the sea (who have just as much claim on Palestine as the "Palestinians" do), they'd regain their electricity, their economy, and possibly their sanity. This suicide cult they've turned their form of Islam into just isn't working for them.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 04:53 AM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Palestinians do have a beef. A lot of the pro-Israeli folks say "that was a long time ago, get over it." Well, it wasn't THAT long ago.

As far as I am concerned they have both made mistakes. And believe me, there will be an Israeli civilian die for everyone one of the scores of Lebanese civilians that are being killed right now. Not saying it is right, but that is how it is.

I was very opposed to the Israeli settler's movement, and I was pleased to see the Israelis move away from it. As far as I was concerned, had they kept it going, they were sending the message "we are not serious about peace."

I don't know that our support of Israel is really in our interest. These people hate the Israelis and then they seem them driving OUR tanks, firing OUR missiles, flying OUR planes. No wonder they hate us.

We should have had the balls to stop the settlement movement a long time ago. George Bush the first was smart to make it an issue.

Amen on the settlements being a huge mistake. And Dubya was the first US president in history to go on record saying that the settlements may not have to go away after all.