cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interesting musical selections at a funeral.

At the funeral/memorial service for a good friend this week, in addition to "God Be With You" and "O My Father" (an interesting choice, given that a large portion of the audience was non-LDS, and must have been thinking "what the...?" with the Mother in Heaven reference), other music included a passable "Angel" (Sarah McLachlan), and surprisingly good piano renditions of Thelonious Monk's "'Round Midnight" and an Oscar Peterson number, the name of which escapes me. I don't recall T. Monk or Oscar ever getting much air time at an LDS service, but I liked it, even if the Stake Presidency on the stand appeared to be suffering from severe heartburn.

But let's open this up to the audience: what's the oddest/worst/best music you've heard at a funeral. I'm still big on "You Can't Always Get What You Want" in the opening scene of The Big Chill.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

"Theme from Shaft."

"Really?" you ask. "Someone requested that the "Theme from Shaft" be played at their funeral?"

"No," I reply. "I misread your question, but I still stand by my answer."
Old 08-28-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Lavemonos los Dientes

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:27 PM   #4
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankfully, I haven't had much experience with funeral music, and most of those that I have been to have been the standard LDS fare. To this day, I still choke up when we sing "O My Father", it reminds me of my Gramps.

I did go the funeral for the white trash stepdad of one of my high school buddies, and they had a live band singing. One of the songs was "Home Sweet Home" from Motley Crue. It was like a scene straight out of The Wedding Singer, only at a funeral. Awesome.

I have also decided that I would somehow like to work Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's version of "Over The Rainbow" into my own services. I love that song.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:31 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Dunno, I slept through all of them.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:35 PM   #6
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

When the Children Cry - White Lion
This was played at a funeral of a guy who died in HS in a car wreck. The lyrics are nice, but it was odd hearing it inside a chapel.

Never a Better Hero - JKP
This song was played at the funeral of a HS classmate who died in a car wreck while he was driving drunk. While his death was very sad, I kept thinking that we're setting our hero standards a little low.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:40 PM   #7
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
This song was played at the funeral of a HS classmate who died in a car wreck while he was driving drunk. While his death was very sad, I kept thinking that we're setting our hero standards a little low.
Since that song was written about Christ, I guess I'm having a hard time understanding what you're trying to say.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:08 AM   #8
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
This was played at a funeral of a guy who died in HS in a car wreck. The lyrics are nice, but it was odd hearing it inside a chapel.

I remember this one from my mission. "Never a better hero.....never a truer man.....hoping to save us by taking our pain in his hands"....or something like that.

Isn't this the tune that has the instrumental segments coupled with a depressing narrative? In fact, if I remember them correctly, one of the narratives is a woman's voice, and she starts by saying, "I lost my son today...."

I also remember "Like A Lighthouse" from my mission. that song was rad.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:33 AM   #9
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Never a better hero is by Kenneth Cope. I hate nit-picking but he's about the only LDS artist that has a semi-unique sound and probably would be pretty pissed to be compared to JKP.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:26 AM   #10
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

3 years ago in my brothers ward in Murray a long time inactive member had passed away.

A 32 year old man with a long history of Drug Abuse and Alcoholism, and a family who wasn't that active, but had gone to the Bishop several times for financial and food support.

The attendance was rather sparse...and the bishop allowed the Father to play a song as the pallbearers began taking the casket away.

He took a boombox to the podium pressed play...and Ozzy Osbourne's..."Mama, I'm Coming Home" began blaring in the Chapel as they carried it away.

True Story.