cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2008, 10:02 PM   #11
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Tranlsation: You don't have a REAL answer.

And who says Collie isn't irreplaceable? We have the most depth at WR than we've had in years.

Max Hall is the most irreplaceable player on the team, not Austin.
Whether or not Collie is replaceable isn't important to me. Maybe someone can step in and take up some of the slack (I am sure this is the case this year). Collie has shown he is injury prone, he is very good at punt returns because he is reckless with his body (which isn't good on the injury side), and he won't tell coaches when he is hurt (which increases the risk of more injury) unless he is clearly hurting.

I think he is better used as a WR, and someone else (not Mahuika) can take punt returns.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:04 PM   #12
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Whether or not Collie is replaceable isn't important to me. Maybe someone can step in and take up some of the slack (I am sure this is the case this year). Collie has shown he is injury prone, he is very good at punt returns because he is reckless with his body (which isn't good on the injury side), and he won't tell coaches when he is hurt (which increases the risk of more injury) unless he is clearly hurting.

I think he is better used as a WR, and someone else (not Mahuika) can take punt returns.
I have no problem with another playmaker being able to return kickoffs so long as it's not in the slow, can't shake a defender if his life depended on it type, which is what we're unfortunatley used to. Time will tell who we see back there.

I'm not counting on it on punts however, as it looks like Reed White will be our Punt Returner.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:52 PM   #13
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Strange move. I am guessing it is some sort of head game for opposing teams. I sure hope our backup QBs aren't as terrible as it sounds from that article.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:08 AM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember the pass Collie threw against Utah his freshman year. It was a thing of beauty. I encourage Mendenhall to have Collie throw his guts out. And now that Weddle's no longer at Utah, Collie has that going for him.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:15 AM   #15
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I remember the pass Collie threw against Utah his freshman year. It was a thing of beauty. I encourage Mendenhall to have Collie throw his guts out. And now that Weddle's no longer at Utah, Collie has that going for him.
Zip it Zoot.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:22 AM   #16
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
4th and 18 was a thing of beauty too. It was a bit more recent as well.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:13 AM   #17
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I have no problem with another playmaker being able to return kickoffs so long as it's not in the slow, can't shake a defender if his life depended on it type, which is what we're unfortunatley used to. Time will tell who we see back there.

I'm not counting on it on punts however, as it looks like Reed White will be our Punt Returner.
Lest we forget, BYU's punt return team has been quite decent. What were we statistically speaking? Top 30 or so?

Yeah, putting in Collie would probably result in a big play every so often-- just like it did with McKay Jacobsen, who was replacing the #1 PR against Wyoming when he ran it in for a touchdown. But you're replacing a punt return unit that is NOT broken with one that may have a higher risk of turnovers or of getting a major offensive player injured. If your offense is already quite efficient, the reward of the extra 5 or so yards per punt may not be worth the risk.

But that's playing conservatively. We fans can't help but remember James Dye, who was too short to be an indispensable cog in the offense but fast as lightning anyway. He was talented enough to force other teams into changing their game plan; who knows if BYU would have won the WAC championship game of 96 if Wyoming felt safe in punting it away? The punt returns and kickoff returns for touchdowns were some of the most exciting plays I'd ever seen. Yeah, that'd be fun to see again.

And hey, didn't USC stick Reggie Bush back there?
Old 08-24-2008, 04:38 AM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
4th and 18 was a thing of beauty too. It was a bit more recent as well.
But Collie didn't throw that pass.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:39 AM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Zip it Zoot.
So says the Carbon County guy. Don't make me go Garfield County tonight.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:45 AM   #20
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
But Collie didn't throw that pass.
Ofcourse, but you brought up the subject of "things of beauty" in a football context, specifically with Collie. So I thought it was somewhat relevant.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote