cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2008, 05:25 AM   #1
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do you congratulate someone over a Church calling?

I got called as 2nd Counselor in the EQ last week. I'll do my best to serve, but the truth is, I don't want to do it. The guy they called as Pres. admitted to my wife tonight that he called me as a counselor because I'm one of a whole two people that actually talk to him at Church. He called the other guy as secretary. I was digging being YM secretary and I'm sad to leave.

Anyway, there must have been 10 people tell me congratulations on my new calling, which struck me as very weird. What do they mean? I didn't aspire to or work for the calling, and there's any number of guys more worthy. I thought it was strange.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

A tradition, nothing more, nothing less.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:08 AM   #3
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

I typically do that.

I am excited for someone to have the experiences and blessing that come with the calling.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:16 AM   #4
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
A tradition, nothing more, nothing less.
I think there is more to it than filiopietistic norm.

Entry into the old boys club is validation of a life lived congruent to the principles of the gospel. So when we congratulate we state, 'you've been accepted by the club and I aspire to one day gain acceptance.'
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:22 AM   #5
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't. I congratulate people when they accomplish something. I don't congratulate when they receive an assignment. It's a conscious choice, as I don't want to foster the belief that callings are solely merit-driven.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I suspect it's their relief in not getting the calling (at least for some) that is driving their congratulatory back pats...but maybe that's just for callings like Bishop or EQ President.

I received a number of congratulations on my calling as Ward Mission Leader from people who I know were just glad that they had dodged that bullet.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
I got called as 2nd Counselor in the EQ last week. I'll do my best to serve, but the truth is, I don't want to do it. The guy they called as Pres. admitted to my wife tonight that he called me as a counselor because I'm one of a whole two people that actually talk to him at Church. He called the other guy as secretary. I was digging being YM secretary and I'm sad to leave.

Anyway, there must have been 10 people tell me congratulations on my new calling, which struck me as very weird. What do they mean? I didn't aspire to or work for the calling, and there's any number of guys more worthy. I thought it was strange.
Congratulating someone is a fairly transparent way to say "I'm glad it's you and not me".
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
beelzebabette

beelzebabette is on a distinguished road

I generally offer sympathy/condolences.
beelzebabette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I congratulate those that get hard callings that have been skating under the radar. I always do it with a smirk.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #10
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post

I sometimes offer condolences.
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote