cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2008, 11:56 PM   #31
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Terrible analogy.
Why? Everything you asserty about the church is based on that mopment in time you left. You have updated nothing except where your nose has been drgged trhough it here, and even then you refuse to admit it. You have even used terms when describing your break from the church that bring to mind the feelings of a jilted bride. I think it is a very good analogy.

Last edited by creekster; 08-19-2008 at 11:59 PM. Reason: typos are one thing, but complete sentences are important
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:20 AM   #32
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
You have given me enough info here to satisfy me that you are once again, Miss Havisham-like, pulling some tidbit from your rather distant active past to support a flat and overly broad generalization. Need I go on?
LOL. Well done, gibbon man. Well done.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:39 AM   #33
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Based on the fact that we are not excommunicating our members in droves and droves, I would venture to say that most Bishops are more concerned with the Spirit of the law. Rightfully so.
Nice observational point. Now that I think about it, most of the bishops I've ever known have definitely done all they could to keep members in the Church.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:41 AM   #34
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
All my life my father talked with affection about his MP, and derision about the predecessor MP (my father was AP). A big theme in my own mission was what a bafooon the predecessor MP was. Our mission split and sometimes after the split I'd talk to fellow ZL's from the new mission and they were always critical of my MP. I could tell they were parroting stuff their MP had told them. My MP finished his mission on the same day I did. But I had some good friends and former companions with whom I stayed in touch. They were critical of my MP (the only one I had the whole mission), and I could tell they were parroting stuff the new MP told them. Waters' statement about the predecessor MP in his mission.

Do I need to go on? How many more examples do you need?

This reads like SU is describing the same example four different ways.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #35
splitbamboo

splitbamboo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Really? How often have you seen this? serously, how many times have you 'seen' this?
My mission president followed what I believed to be an animal. His mission goal was 10,000 baptisms per year, 30,000 total. Missionaries were pressed to do anything to baptize. Baseball baptisms were common. If the wards and branches didn't like what they were doing, they'd build a font on the deck of the apartment and start their own branches.

My mission president came in to a mess and spent three years cleaning up. But there was never an unkind word, he only exuded humility. He was a local that would have to deal with the fall out for years whereas the other went back to the US, never to have to deal with an inactive again that didn't even know that the church existed.
splitbamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:56 PM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Btw, I never recall hearing my MP saying anything negative about the prior MP.

The only thing in this category that I ever heard was him saying, "We require investigators to follow the Word of Wisdom for one week, then they can be baptized and confirmed. And when confirmed, they will have the Holy Ghost to help them resist. Previously the policy was three weeks of following the Word of Wisdom. Now, however, baptisms have doubled, and the retention rate is the same, meaning that more members have come unto Christ."

This was not said in an arrogant way. My MP was a strong, but humble man. I love him, even though I never felt close to him per se. He was friendly, but not personable.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote