cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2008, 01:04 AM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Phelps and the 200 I/M

I think this will be his toughest individual medal of these games. It was supposed to be the 400 I/M but Lochte, his main challenger had some kind of intestinal bug and was apparently not 100%. Lochte is supposed to be healthy again and if so we're in for a treat. Here's a clip from the 2007 World Championships in Melbourne. Lochte is actually with him stroke for stroke in the breast stroke but Phelps has one of his amazing turns going into the freestyle leg and puts him away.

Lochte is the best swimmer that you've never heard of. He is the 2nd best swimmer on the planet and it's likely that only year round fans of swimming will remember who he is. He is capable of beating Phelps in this race and I will not be shocked if he does. Don't miss tonight's race as it will likely be the best of these Olympics (not counting the 4x100 relay of course). If an increasingly tired Phelps can put Lochte away again like he did in the 400 I/M then we've truly seen something special. Part of me is rooting for Lochte though because he'll never get the respect he's earned. If he wins he'll be remembered by the casual fan as the a-hole who ruined our chance to see Phelps win 8 golds in an Olympics.

Last edited by SteelBlue; 08-15-2008 at 01:06 AM.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:33 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with you about the casual observer thinking he would be the prick who cost Phelps an 8th gold medal and it would actually be fun to see him win it.

However, if there was a Frenchman in the final, it would be fun to see Lochte be Phelp's own Cal Naughton Jr. and do the shake and bake in the final, just to keep the Frenchie from winning.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:57 AM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Spoiler Alert!!!!!!! Do not read further if you don't want to know.

Phelps dominated. Lochte 3rd by a hundreth of a second. Looks like Ian Crocker is Phelps's last dragon to slay in the 100 fly. Earlier Lochte beat Aaron Piersol in the 200 back and broke the WR so I'm happy he got his individual gold somewhere.

Last edited by SteelBlue; 08-15-2008 at 03:00 AM.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:06 AM   #4
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I am basically sick of Michael Phelps being the raddest aqua-monster on the planet.

The guy has no shame, no mercy, and no limits.

Sorry Mark Spitz....you are soon going to be the answer to a different trivia question.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Looks like Ian Crocker is Phelps's last dragon to slay in the 100 fly. Earlier Lochte beat Aaron Piersol in the 200 back and broke the WR so I'm happy he got his individual gold somewhere.
Lochte looked a bit gassed from the earlier race. It was a sweet moment between Lochte and his father.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I'm sure Lochte was cooked from the backstroke, which by itself was an amazing race. The announcers almost seemed disappointed seeing Piersol lose. They hid it fairly well with the enthusiasm for the WR, but I definitely felt like they were rooting from Aaron.

I think the reason nobody knows him (in addition to being in the shadow if Phelps) is he is not a very good interview. He is so laid back, he is just not given to soundbites, of which Phelps is full of.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

the 100 fly is his biggest challenge as he's not even the favorite, though something makes me think he'll prevail. He might even break the fifty second barrier, which would be huge.