cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think is more important to the orthodox member of the LDS Church?
Adhering to the Word of Wisdom 19 63.33%
Living by Christian values 11 36.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #11
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think an orthodox mormon would consider not smoking and drinking as a Christian Value.

Personally, I think the WOW was a counsel that became commandment.

I don't know why we haven't seen it, but counsel over the last 50 years seems not to have become commandment, but remained counsel.

Has a commandment been added since the WOW. For you historians, when exactly was it added as a commandment. Late 1800's or early 1900's.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #12
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
"What do you think is a higher priority to or emphasized more by the orthodox member of the LDS Church?" is how I should have phrased it.
But as of the time of this post, "Adhering to the Word of Wisdom" is winning 4 to 3.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:56 PM   #13
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I think an orthodox mormon would consider not smoking and drinking as a Christian Value.

Personally, I think the WOW was a counsel that became commandment.

I don't know why we haven't seen it, but counsel over the last 50 years seems not to have become commandment, but remained counsel.

Has a commandment been added since the WOW. For you historians, when exactly was it added as a commandment. Late 1800's or early 1900's.
At a General Conference in the 1850's, or maybee 1860's. However, enforcement as a metric of temple worthiness didn't appear until into the 1900s I believe. It took some time for some rather influential decision makers who struggled living it to move on to the happy hunting grounds.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #14
scottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Scottie, I like you but your poll is kind of dumb. I don't know any mormon who believes that living the WOW is more important than Christian love and honesty....
Who's voting (besides me) for the WOW choice?
Old 08-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #15
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Sherem and Nehor!
Old 08-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #16
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Do you honestly think that the response to this poll has been 100% truthful?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #17
scottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Do you honestly think that the response to this poll has been 100% truthful?
As of this post, the response is 70% WOW, which is about what I expected and perceive.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:56 PM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Which is more likely to keep you out of the temple? Drinking coffee or being an a-hole to your neighbors? Enjoying a glass of wine or cheating on your income taxes?

The elevated importance we give to the WoW in today's church/culture is absurd.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #19
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you all know that for church dances the youth in certain stakes are required to have a recommend to attend? When church leadership requires that for certain youth social functions a recommend is required questions like scottie's become relevant.

A real life example:

When I went to the UNLV vs BYU three years ago I sat close to a bunch of coeds. We were sitting in a section where we surrounded by UNLV fans where some were enjoying adult beverages. Throughout the course of the game I counted no less than 15 references to the evils of alcohol consumption; family abandonment, poverty, spousal and child abuse.

If you asked this group of coeds what was more important, one rule or a value system, every one to a person would say that a value system was more important. Unfortunately for them and most in the church they were unable to see the forest through the trees.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:04 PM   #20
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As of this post, the response is 70% WOW, which is about what I expected and perceive.
Keep your sample in mind, when making that assessment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Which is more likely to keep you out of the temple? Drinking coffee or being an a-hole to your neighbors? Enjoying a glass of wine or cheating on your income taxes?

The elevated importance we give to the WoW in today's church/culture is absurd.
Come on, Leb, we've been over this before. It's a function of how measurable it is. It's a lot easier to measure abstinence from alcohol than "am I honest in my dealings with my fellow man."

Plus, is it really all that elevated in importance? How many talks/lessons a year do we have on WoW? Compare that to talks on mercy, patience, honesty, etc.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote