cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If GBH said....

..."I challenge each member to prayerfully consider taking in a foster child or adopting an unwanted child, and to consider involving himself or herself in advocacy for these children."

What would be the effect?

Who knows, it might happen someday.

I commented many times in the past about policies that subsidized secular education for American LDS but did nothing for non-American LDS, and poof, next thing I know we get the Perpetual Education Fund (I don't kid myself that my thoughts had anything to do with this decision).

There are not many things more tragic than a child who grows up with no parents, no one who loves him or her as their child, no place to fall back on. Thank God for the resiliency of the human spirit, that not all these children grow up to misery. I'm increasingly of the mind that to ignore these issues is to ignore the purpose of religion in the first place.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
stonewallperry

stonewallperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
..."I challenge each member to prayerfully consider taking in a foster child or adopting an unwanted child, and to consider involving himself or herself in advocacy for these children."

I commented many times in the past about policies that subsidized secular education for American LDS but did nothing for non-American LDS, and poof, next thing I know we get the Perpetual Education Fund (I don't kid myself that my thoughts had anything to do with this decision).

There are not many things more tragic than a child who grows up with no parents, no one who loves him or her as their child, no place to fall back on. Thank God for the resiliency of the human spirit, that not all these children grow up to misery. I'm increasingly of the mind that to ignore these issues is to ignore the purpose of religion in the first place.
And here is a place I agree with you very strongly. I love children and hope to be able to help some less fortunate children in my life. There are a couple reasons...first of all, there are so many children that suffer, it's just sad, I don't know how else I can explain it. Second, frequently these children are problems as adults in society, so not only will helping these children in need bless their lives (which is the primary objective), but it will also benefit our society.

I have even thought at times that parents that aren't fit to be parents should have their children take away or not be allowed to have kids at all. I think we are too lenient on parents that abuse their children, or just don't love and care for them.

I think that we shouldn't need to be told to take in these children. It would seem obvious that our religion, by teaching us how we should be, has already 'told' us to do this; sadly, many of us need to be commanded in all things. I think that if GBH did as you said, that more people (probably a lot more members) would make an effort to take in children in need.

One question...how does the Church subsidize American-LDS education? Sincere question...it certainly subsidizes the universities, but those are open to anyone.
stonewallperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:49 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I meant that BYU tuition is subsidized through tithing. If tithing weren't used, the cost of tuition would probably triple.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:46 AM   #4
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

It would be interesting. I can tell you that in my ward, one family did this and before you knew it six other families followed suit. It has been very cool to see and even has me thinking about it one I am a little better situated to handle it.

One of the interesting things I have learned through this, however, is that this is an area where LDSSS is not terribly strong. As I understand it they primarily place infants with young couples. These adoptions are all of "older" (but under ten) kids, many of whom have been fosters before. Those who I know do this almost exclusively through the Methodist church who seems to have a wonderful program for matching foster kids and older adopts for families.

I don't know if that amounts to a critique of LDSSS, but I wonder if the Methodists can do this why we can't.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Didn't they kind of do that with the Indian Placement program?
Old 06-28-2006, 12:55 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I think the Indian Placement Program 1) took kids from established homes with parents and put them with Mormon families (big difference between that and usual foster care or adoption) and 2) is generally considered a huge failure (therefore abandoned).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Placement_Program

When you see others adopt, it is a big contagious. I think I mentioned that a guy from my ward, that Venkman knows, took in a foster kid who is now on his mission. He never struck me as one inclined to such endeavors, so I find it impressive that he did something, at a young age, that very few do.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:24 PM   #7
stonewallperry

stonewallperry

Quote:
I meant that BYU tuition is subsidized through tithing. If tithing weren't used, the cost of tuition would probably triple.
I agree with all your points, except BYU is available to American or non-American LDS alike, and even non-LDS. But, I can see your point.
stonewallperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:38 PM   #8
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Amen. I often feel like "our" views on these things are out of focus. I read a few weeks back about children as young as 7 being forced to join mercenary armies in the Sudan. That sort of thing makes condemnations of beards, white shirts, and too many earrings in an ear seem ridiculous.

Maybe if the Sudanese had oil reserves we could generate enough interest to do something.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote