cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2006, 08:44 PM   #31
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
Haughty smugness? And to think, I was only shooting for haughty.

I'm honestly trying to understand your indignation. Are you so desperate for affirmation that you consider anybody who doesn't share your beliefs to be mocking you? There are about six and a half billion people in the world who don't share your particular belief system. When do you ever find the time to speak out against all those people? BTW, if I've mocked you it's been wholly unintentional. To the best of my knowledge, JL is the only person on this board that I have deliberately mocked. And not because he's a believer, but because he's a fatuous dolt.
Indignation? That might be the single most ironic statement you've ever posted NS. Your response is classic of what I'm talking about. You espouse tolerance, but very rarely are you tolerant of LDS beliefs, but instead stand to mock and scorn whenever you see fit many beliefs of the church, and if someone like myself calls you on it, then suddenly you're the victim.

Express what you will, as that is definetly your right. And I will continue to express my dismay with those who don't hold up to the tolerance they claim to espouse.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:43 PM   #32
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Indignation? That might be the single most ironic statement you've ever posted NS. Your response is classic of what I'm talking about. You espouse tolerance, but very rarely are you tolerant of LDS beliefs, but instead stand to mock and scorn whenever you see fit many beliefs of the church, and if someone like myself calls you on it, then suddenly you're the victim.

Express what you will, as that is definetly your right. And I will continue to express my dismay with those who don't hold up to the tolerance they claim to espouse.
What is your definition of intolerance? Just because I don't agree with an idea, doesn't mean I don't tolerate that idea. Hell, my wife and kids are all active LDS. If I were intolerant of LDS beliefs, I would attempt to prevent them from pursuing their beliefs. To my wife's credit, she is also tolerant of my beliefs. She doesn't agree with them, but she respects them nonetheless. That is the epitome of tolerance.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:00 PM   #33
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
There is a prevalent liberal attitude in not hesistating to question and malign a prophet of God on here by posters such as Non-Sequitur, Hoyacoug, RobinFinderson and others.

It's what happens when one obviously feel their stances of what they feel is morally objectionable is more important that what Jesus Christ thinks. The Prophet speaks for and behalf of Christ, and they forget that, don't believe that, or don't care.

Malign a prophet???

An example would be fantastic for such an outrageous statement.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:51 PM   #34
Faith

Faith is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
There is a prevalent liberal attitude in not hesistating to question and malign a prophet of God on here by posters such as Non-Sequitur, Hoyacoug, RobinFinderson and others.

It's what happens when one obviously feel their stances of what they feel is morally objectionable is more important that what Jesus Christ thinks. The Prophet speaks for and behalf of Christ, and they forget that, don't believe that, or don't care.

Rocky, I feel like you are making some assumptions. Do you really think that all people who disagree with the LDS prophet don't care what Jesus Christ thinks? Could these people possibly be feeling llike thay are receiving revelation from the Holy Ghost that is contradictory to the prophet?

Remember, most people who are LDS have been taught to value personal revelation and communication with God through the Holy Ghost. As a missionary, I remember trying to specifically help investigators recognize and identify the spirit. It is ultimately through our communication with the Holy Ghost that we gain our testimonies about anything in the gospel, including our testimonies about the prophet being called of God.

Is it possible for the Holy Ghost to tell us something contradictory from the prophet? (If Nephi hadn't listened to the Holy Ghost, he would NEVER had killed Laban in the BofM, because murdering is clearly taught by the prophets to be against God's will.) If one cannot count on the Holy Ghost to know truth, then the entire foundation of personal knowledge of the gospel is unstable. I believe that I am ultimately accountable to God for acting for or against what I feel that I am being told by the Holy Ghost, as I actively seek his guidance.

What does one do when one really feels that the Holy Ghost is telling them something contrary to the Prophet's words? Do they ignore the promptings, keep praying, repenting, and hoping that Satan is trying to deceive them? What if they still feel that the Holy Ghost is telling them somethig contrary to the prophet's words? Do they use reason and evaluate how important of an issue it is for them to even wrestle with? Do they wonder if God is testing their obedience to a prophet of God? I personally don't believe that God would give such a ridiculous test. When the early saints practiced polygamy, I don't think that they could have without personal peace given from the Holy Ghost. I cannot live without peace in my heart, and I do not have peace in my heart when I feel that I am going against the promptings of the holy ghost.
Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:58 PM   #35
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I don't think that they could have without personal peace given from the Holy Ghost. I cannot live without peace in my heart, and I do not have peace in my heart when I feel that I am going against the promptings of the holy ghost.
I agree with this. However, how many posters say, "The prompting of the Holy Ghost tell me this, " vs. "I read all these books and now think this."

It's an important distinction.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:03 AM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
I agree with this. However, how many posters say, "The prompting of the Holy Ghost tell me this, " vs. "I read all these books and now think this."

I've met plenty of religious crazies who say that the Holy Spirit guides them in 100% of what they do.

Certainly we know that Mormonism teaches that study is important.

Maybe Lingo has made the statment at some point in his life, "I've read [the Book of Mormon] and now think this"? The BoM is a [drumroll] book.

Many non-scriptural books have been used as inspiration. Talmadge, et al.

So I find your continued snide, condescending attitude very boring.

Your worst sin, Lingo, is that you bore people. I suspect, in person, you are the type that is eminently forgettable. If you can't add anything here in this forum, it's a safe bet you can't add anything in any venue.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:04 AM   #37
Cali Coug

Quote:

Don't cast your pearls before swine...

FWIW, the first step in understanding anything through the Spirit is study and thought. If you are skipping that step (and frequently I find it compelling to think you are) then how can you actually arrive at the second step?
Old 06-26-2006, 01:22 AM   #38
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW
Blah blah blah you're boring and obviously because I can't stand you no one else on the entire planet can, either.
Ouch. I can't even communicate the depth of the hurt your words cause me, Mikey. You should have your wife read this board to see what a meany you are.

Quote:
FWIW, the first step in understanding anything through the Spirit is study and thought. If you are skipping that step (and frequently I find it compelling to think you are) then how can you actually arrive at the second step?
Fine. I also agree with this. So to edit my previous response, CG posters rarely say, "I studied this out in my mind using the scriptures and words of prophets. I came to this conclusion and the Holy Ghost confirms it's true."
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:24 AM   #39
Cali Coug

Quote:
Ouch. I can't even communicate the depth of the hurt your words cause me, Mikey. You should have your wife read this board to see what a meany you are.

Fine. I also agree with this. So to edit my previous response, CG posters rarely say, "I studied this out in my mind using the scriptures and words of prophets. I came to this conclusion and the Holy Ghost confirms it's true."

Refer back to my first sentence in that post. And, by the way, the scriptures and the words of the prophets do not constitute the entire universe of knowledge we are supposed to apply when coming to a conclusion.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:00 AM   #40
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
I've met plenty of religious crazies who say that the Holy Spirit guides them in 100% of what they do.

Certainly we know that Mormonism teaches that study is important.

Maybe Lingo has made the statment at some point in his life, "I've read [the Book of Mormon] and now think this"? The BoM is a [drumroll] book.

Many non-scriptural books have been used as inspiration. Talmadge, et al.

So I find your continued snide, condescending attitude very boring.

Your worst sin, Lingo, is that you bore people. I suspect, in person, you are the type that is eminently forgettable. If you can't add anything here in this forum, it's a safe bet you can't add anything in any venue.
Now THAT is some eloquent venom.