cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2008, 09:34 PM   #11
FMCoug

FMCoug

There is also a lot of room between full-size trucks and SUV's and 25mpg, which is the cutoff you mentioned. For example, families getting a minivan instead of a Suburban would likely still be outside the 12%. So there may be a lot of people getting more efficient vehicles than they would have, but the still don't get 25mpg or better.

Last edited by FMCoug; 07-03-2008 at 09:36 PM.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
There is also a lot of room between full-size trucks and SUV's and 25mpg, which is the cutoff you mentioned. For example, families getting a minivan instead of a Suburban would likely still be outside the 12%. So there may be a lot of people getting more efficient vehicles than they would have, but the still don't get 25mpg or better.
No you're wrong. People are still choosing the Suburban over the minivan.

--HighHorse.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:55 PM   #13
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

On a side note, next week I will be traveling 1800 miles in a rental car over 11 days. When comparing the rental prices for a hybrid vs. a standard mid-size, and factoring in 45 mpg vs. 25 mpg at $4.50/gallon, renting the hybrid would have been $45 higher overall. The premium price that they still fetch does not amount to savings in the long run.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
On a side note, next week I will be traveling 1800 miles in a rental car over 11 days. When comparing the rental prices for a hybrid vs. a standard mid-size, and factoring in 45 mpg vs. 25 mpg at $4.50/gallon, renting the hybrid would have been $45 higher overall. The premium price that they still fetch does not amount to savings in the long run.
Depends on what you are comparing. Corolla to Prius, might be better off with the Corolla. But hell, a lot of people buy cars that are pricier than the Prius.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:16 PM   #15
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard the other evening that if the U.S. could raise the average MPG of its cars and trucks by 1 MPG, we would save more oil than could ever be produced from ANWR (and I'm all for drilling in ANWR). More impressively, raising the average MPG by 7 would save more oil than is currently imported from the Middle East. I don't want the government mandating such improvement, but it would be nice if the consumer came around to the virtues of such an idea.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:56 PM   #16
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
I heard the other evening that if the U.S. could raise the average MPG of its cars and trucks by 1 MPG, we would save more oil than could ever be produced from ANWR (and I'm all for drilling in ANWR). More impressively, raising the average MPG by 7 would save more oil than is currently imported from the Middle East. I don't want the government mandating such improvement, but it would be nice if the consumer came around to the virtues of such an idea.
Makes you wonder if 55MPH speed limits on the interstates are on the horizon. IIRC, that's where they came from in the first place.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:09 AM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Then white your congresspersons because they recently passed a law to raise CAFE standards (thank goodness).
Old 07-04-2008, 12:09 AM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Makes you wonder if 55MPH speed limits on the interstates are on the horizon. IIRC, that's where they came from in the first place.
It may just be my imagination, but I think traffic here in dallas on interestates is slower now.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:29 AM   #19
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of variance.

7+ Seat SUVs: What is the worst gas mileage? What is the best?

I doubt that they are too far apart.

Plus hybrids cost, what, about $1500 more on average?