cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2008, 03:20 AM   #21
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
If liberals were a monolith, you would be correct. There were plenty of liberals disgruntled with 'don't ask, don't tell,' NAFTA, and his triangulation.
Some disagreed with the ways he did stuff, but at the end of the day, he got the job done on liberal goals (massive poverty reduction, environmental protection, etc.).
Old 06-25-2008, 03:32 AM   #22
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Some disagreed with the ways he did stuff, but at the end of the day, he got the job done on liberal goals (massive poverty reduction, environmental protection, etc.).
Yes, his cowardly invoking of the Antiquities Act by declaring of the Grand Staircase from the Grand Canyon - the pussy wouldn't even go into the state from which he stole land from Utah school children - was all about environmental protection and had nothing to do with getting votes from the fringe element of environmentalists.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:33 AM   #23
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Interesting that you bring up the environment. I have little knowledge of any significant Clinton accomplishment in this area. I know he designated a national park in Utah and he couldn't get one Senate vote in support of Kyoto ratification. Is there something I'm missing?

On poverty reduction, I think it's a good sign when both parties attempt to take credit for pushing welfare reform.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:50 AM   #24
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Interesting that you bring up the environment. I have little knowledge of any significant Clinton accomplishment in this area. I know he designated a national park in Utah and he couldn't get one Senate vote in support of Kyoto ratification. Is there something I'm missing?

On poverty reduction, I think it's a good sign when both parties attempt to take credit for pushing welfare reform.
so why couldn't reagan or bush I pass welfare reform? Clinton brought more people out of poverty than those two combined.

environment: are you kidding me? look up any pollutant indicator during his term.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:58 AM   #25
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
so why couldn't reagan or bush I pass welfare reform? Clinton brought more people out of poverty than those two combined.

environment: are you kidding me? look up any pollutant indicator during his term.
Relax Chino. I'm not trying to be combative. I honestly was not aware of Clinton being lauded as an ideal president amongst enviros. Apparently I was wrong on that.

As for welfare reform, I see no need to amend my initial statement. Both parties take credit for the welform reform act in '96. Republicans point to the Contract with America and the Gingrich Congress while Dems point to Clinton. I see that as a good sign that bi-partisanship action was taken.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:00 AM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Because liberals love the idea of a dependent class to show that folks are incapable of surviving without government help and Reagan and Bush I had a Democrat controlled congress to work with.

Clinton got welfare reform passed with a Republican controlled congress. Give Reagan and Bush the same and it would have happened.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:10 AM   #27
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Relax Chino. I'm not trying to be combative. I honestly was not aware of Clinton being lauded as an ideal president amongst enviros. Apparently I was wrong on that.

As for welfare reform, I see no need to amend my initial statement. Both parties take credit for the welform reform act in '96. Republicans point to the Contract with America and the Gingrich Congress while Dems point to Clinton. I see that as a good sign that bi-partisanship action was taken.
fair enough