cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2008, 07:33 PM   #51
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
it's a confession.
A confession in an attempt for monetary gain.

That's not an admirable thing.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:14 PM   #52
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Let's put this in perspective a little too, shall we? The man is 40 now, which means he was about 32 when he first entered the Bush White House, and not much older than that when he became Press Secretary.

Pardon me, but for a chief aide position, that is a child. Quite possibly he "came of age" politically during the Reagan years, and spent his impressionable 20's chafing under a Clinton administration. I can imagine he went to DC with a lot of naivete.

Welcome to Washingon, Scott. Get over yourself.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #53
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Let's put this in perspective a little too, shall we? The man is 40 now, which means he was about 32 when he first entered the Bush White House, and not much older than that when he became Press Secretary.

Pardon me, but for a chief aide position, that is a child. Quite possibly he "came of age" politically during the Reagan years, and spent his impressionable 20's chafing under a Clinton administration. I can imagine he went to DC with a lot of naivete.

Welcome to Washingon, Scott. Get over yourself.
Has he ever done anything than act in his material short term interest? He did that when he did Bush's bidding. At that time he'd have been financially worse off had he resigned. Now he's also taking the most profitable way. There's nothing more need me said. The guy throughly ignoble.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:34 PM   #54
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Has he ever done anything than act in his material short term interest? He did that when he did Bush's bidding. At that time he'd have been financially worse off had he resigned. Now he's also taking the most profitable way. There's nothing more need me said. The guy throughly ignoble.
I have to say, after sifting through his "bombshell" claims, I don't know that he has revealed anything other than what was already well-known. He claims the administration overplayed the evidence for war and used heavy amounts of propoganda. No kidding, Sherlock. The media hasn't spent much time covering the story (because it makes them look like fools), but the revelation that the Pentagon was paying people to provide "expert" military opinions on the war that would spin news in favor of the Bush administration came out over a month ago. Prior to that, Colin Powell, among others, noted the deceptive tactics of the administration in goading the nation into war.

He says Bush may have used cocaine. Really? Tell us more. What a bombshell.

He says Bush is too insulated to make good decisions. WOW! Didn't see that one coming.

I haven't read his book (and I don't intend to, particularly since I thought very little of him before the book and even less of him now), but I don't see a whole lot that is new, other than a guy who will make a fortune telling us stuff we already knew at the expense of a friendship. If anything, I question the man's patriotism for not having done the right thing at a time when it WOULD have been valuable rather than just waiting and profiting from his rancid silence.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:36 PM   #55
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I have to say, after sifting through his "bombshell" claims, I don't know that he has revealed anything other than what was already well-known. He claims the administration overplayed the evidence for war and used heavy amounts of propoganda. No kidding, Sherlock. The media hasn't spent much time covering the story (because it makes them look like fools), but the revelation that the Pentagon was paying people to provide "expert" military opinions on the war that would spin news in favor of the Bush administration came out over a month ago. Prior to that, Colin Powell, among others, noted the deceptive tactics of the administration in goading the nation into war.

He says Bush may have used cocaine. Really? Tell us more. What a bombshell.

He says Bush is too insulated to make good decisions. WOW! Didn't see that one coming.

I haven't read his book (and I don't intend to, particularly since I thought very little of him before the book and even less of him now), but I don't see a whole lot that is new, other than a guy who will make a fortune telling us stuff we already knew at the expense of a friendship. If anything, I question the man's patriotism for not having done the right thing at a time when it WOULD have been valuable rather than just waiting and profiting from his rancid silence.
Cali, we rarely agree politically, but on this, we're on the same page, especially the last paragraph.

Well said.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:58 PM   #56
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think he ends up with less money as a result of this book, and that he knows that as well.

His potential salary is based on his powerful friends and contacts, and he just burned all those bridges. So I think it is not fair to say that this was about money.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:29 PM   #57
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I think he ends up with less money as a result of this book, and that he knows that as well.

His potential salary is based on his powerful friends and contacts, and he just burned all those bridges. So I think it is not fair to say that this was about money.
He'll sell a ton of books to all those who felt that Bush stole the election in '00 and all those who have bashed him for his entire stay in the White House. People like that have hatred that knows no satiety and will now have his book as their redemption.

Again, if he was against it when he was the spokesperson, he should have had the guts to say it then.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 PM   #58
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Say he didn't have the guts to say it while he was the Press Sec. Does that mean he shouldn't say it now?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:41 PM   #59
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Say he didn't have the guts to say it while he was the Press Sec. Does that mean he shouldn't say it now?
As Cali pointed out, what has he said that we don't already know? Saying now what he lacked the guts to say when it was relevant only demonstrates that he is a back-stabbing coward. Something could have been done by speaking out then.

He offers nothing.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:06 PM   #60
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
As Cali pointed out, what has he said that we don't already know? Saying now what he lacked the guts to say when it was relevant only demonstrates that he is a back-stabbing coward. Something could have been done by speaking out then.

He offers nothing.
He offers a discussion on what should have been done, and what should be done in the future.