cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2008, 11:33 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default What is "Palestine"?

Palestine seems to me more an idea than anything else. There never was a sovereign country called "Palestine" as there is now an Israel. Did they even have their own king or Emir? There have been a series of disjointed occupiers for hundreds, even thousands of years, continuously. Most recently before Israel the Ottoman Empire then the British were rulers after the Ottomans sided with Germany in WWI and were crushed. (The whole concept of "nation" is of course a relatively recent phenomenon.)

Hope this helps.

Waters, do the Palestinians have documents of title they can show us to prove Israelis stole their hosues? Did they have something like a recorder's office? I'm not trolling. Just seriously trying to get to the bottom of this. I do know the "Palestinians" have been used by Arab militants as pawns in a greater game.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:36 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Palestine seems to me more an idea than anything else. There never was a sovereign country called "Palestine" as there is now an Israel. Did they even have their own king or Emir? There have been a series of disjointed occupiers for hundreds, even thousands of years, continuously. Most recently before Israel the Ottoman Empire then the British were rulers after the Ottomans sided with Germany in WWI and were crushed. (The whole concept of "nation" is of course a relatively recent phenomenon.)

Hope this helps.

Waters, do the Palestinians have documents of title they can show us to prove Israelis stole their hosues? Did they have something like a recorder's office? I'm not trolling. Just seriously trying to get to the bottom of this. I do know the Palestinians have been used by Arab militants as pawns in a greater game.
actually their constitution says "every other nation has license to kill and rape us, steal our homes, and libel us."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
actually their constitution says "every other nation has license to kill and rape us, steal our homes, and libel us."
SU wins.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:25 AM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Hope this helps.
And like a machine, SU marches his way through the tired laundry list of Zionist propaganda.

You can apply this argument to the entire mideast region. They operated for centuries as loosely connected tribes. Most of the country names and boundaries are recent creations, mostly by the Brits. Including that great idea to put control of much of the oil wealth in the gulf region in the hands of a tiny number of well-connected families in modern-day Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.

The Palestinians have as much a right to self-rule as anyone in the region. Including the Israelis. And they certainly have a right to keep their property, land, and water.

Quote:
Waters, do the Palestinians have documents of title they can show us to prove Israelis stole their hosues? Did they have something like a recorder's office? I'm not trolling. Just seriously trying to get to the bottom of this. I do know the "Palestinians" have been used by Arab militants as pawns in a greater game.
Yes, they do. Many of them still keep the keys to their old homes. They are treasured family possessions. But the Israelis occupying those homes have most certainly changed the locks.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:26 AM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
SU wins.
SU, now you have Indy in your camp. Too bad Lingo is gone. You could have pulled off the trifecta.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:39 AM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
SU, now you have Indy in your camp. Too bad Lingo is gone. You could have pulled off the trifecta.
We're holding auditions, if you'd like to try out.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:52 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Isn't it kind of interesting that SU is really the only true Zionist on this board? The man who hates groups, who is anti-social to the very core of his being, is enthralled with the most exclusive group on earth.

It's very interesting.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:06 AM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Isn't it kind of interesting that SU is really the only true Zionist on this board? The man who hates groups, who is anti-social to the very core of his being, is enthralled with the most exclusive group on earth.

It's very interesting.
Amen. That's what I have loved about this entire debate. You learn so much about people. It's fascinating. My passion for CG has been renewed.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:52 AM   #9
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I don't necessarily agree with SU here, but MW's response was so ridiculous that SU won the early exchange by default.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I don't necessarily agree with SU here, but MW's response was so ridiculous that SU won the early exchange by default.
Yes, Jeff, we have learned a lot about Indy as well. Ok, I overstate that. We already knew what he was before we picked him up.