cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temple attendance issues...

It is exciting to see the number of temples going up around the world over the past 5 years. The presence of these temples is good for the church in terms of exposure of who mormons are as well as giving members a chance to be relatively close to a temple.

With that said, I have always been very surprised at the lack of people attending. Now that there are temples closer than ever before, why does it seem like less people are going to temples?

The SL, Davis county and Utah county areas are the exception. Though there are quite a few temples in the area, there are also a million members within an hour or two drive of each one of these temples. So, it makes sense that they are crowded.

The DC temple is often left unvisited...I attended multiple times while living there and it was more common to have fewer than 15 people in a session than it was to have over 15 people.

I have visited the Idaho Falls temple and it was rarely busy (though I just read on Cougarboard that the IF is for the most part, very, very busy...I guess I caught the IF temple on two slow days). I did not go in but visited the Kona temple in Hawaii a couple of times and the lot was empty but the temple was open.

Maybe I am catching some of these temples on a slow day but I get the impression that temple attendence is low and is not improving much...any thoughts as to why or to tell me that I am way off?

Last edited by UteStar; 06-14-2006 at 03:33 PM.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote