cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #41
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
My main problem with Utah mormonism is simply the claustrophobic feeling I would get when every person on my block is in my ward....we see each other daily, every Sunday, our kids play together, everyone goes to scouts together, etc... This really is a product of the demographics and has nothing to do with the righteousness of the people. I am not sure how someone can make an accurate assessment of the righteousness of any states citizenry.

As to the "ward community" in Utah, I dont want everyone in my ward knowing all of my business because they all live within 2 blocks of me, and I certainly dont want to hang out mostly with the same ward people. I like having non-member friends and doing lots of things socially that do not involve the ward or its members.

Some folks gravitate towards that alleged benefit of living in Utah, but personally, it would annoy me. That is why I was grateful that my wife was interested in leaving Utah. we left and never looked back. That decision worked well for us.

We love going back to visit, though. It is always a fun time.
You have a valid point. Being newbies in Utah, my wife and I found ourselves quickly missing many of the relationships we had with those outside of church as well as the distance we had from the other members in our ward. Distance is a good thing and is needed.

What is difficult for us who are socially active is that the church (culturally) dictates the social behavior of the collective to the degree that engaging in any activity outside that framework becomes difficult. People are worn out to the point that any time left over would be private time with the family or themselves(individually)

We just moved into a new neighborhood a month ago and we made it clear that we were social types that liked to invite people over. When we tried to set up a get to know you party for my 9 year old daughter to help her transition to her new school, of the nine children she invited only one came, and nobody RSVP'ed. It was sad, but the belated reasons behind all but 2 were church related.

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #42
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
The lesson was going along fine until someone tries to make a point on unrighteous behavior by comparing Utah Mormons to the rest of The Church.

Utah Mormons = complacency = unrighteousness

The guy (who has held many Stake positions) was serious; it was no FM troll job. I express my disillusionment to my wife and get a lecture on not getting offended. That was nice.

This is a common theme that I've heard throughout my experience outside of Utah (from the pulpit, in the halls, from instructors). WTF is this all about?
Still Joe Cool, eh tuff guy?

Tell me that you haven't noticed the serious inferiority complex every mormon not living on the Wasatch Front has of mormons from the Wasatch Front?

It is similar to being mormon and being a Ute fan because it causes you to really believe you are an independent thinker and rebellious. The mormon church is saturated with dumbass ninnies, I think the fact that you are in your uhhhhhhhh twenties plus twenty and just now beginning to notice speaks about either your charity or comatose state. I will let you pick which one, Elder Joe Cool!

Now nobody messes with those of us Mormons leading our way to Fame! Jason Buck is my President!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:22 PM   #43
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

On the other hand, it does get annoying when young couples recently moved from Utah bear their testimony for the first time. Their voices seem to always quake with a mixture of fear and relief. Their stories are emotional and poignant and almost invariably involve telling of experiences that are remarkably similar to Hillary Clinton's landing under sniper fire in Bosnia. Apparently Columbus is very scary place but I am always relieved when they tell me how they managed to find their way to Walmart while at the same time avoiding permanent disfigurement. The Horror, The Horror. I am thinking about holding up a sign in these situations: "Ohio is not a third world country." Of course, noah's ward members could not rightly hold up such as sign but I am pretty sure we can get away with it here.

I am not saying that Utah Mormons deserve most of the smack directed their way, but I am afraid that the typical "young couple from Utah" can seem awfully naive and silly. Also, the constant and vocal yearning for zion the first couple years gets old. We get it; You want to finish dental school and get back to Utah. I think Utah's a nice place too. I just don't want to hear about it in every conversation that I have with you. Yes, I think the Mountains are really nice as well, but their absence hasn't made me suicidal.

Last edited by pelagius; 04-22-2008 at 09:31 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:27 PM   #44
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

Tell me that you haven't noticed the serious inferiority complex every mormon not living on the Wasatch Front has of mormons from the Wasatch Front?

It is similar to being mormon and being a Ute fan because it causes you to really believe you are an independent thinker and rebellious. The mormon church is saturated with dumbass ninnies, I think the fact that you are in your uhhhhhhhh twenties plus twenty and just now beginning to notice speaks about either your charity or comatose state. I will let you pick which one, Elder Joe Cool!

Now nobody messes with those of us Mormons leading our way to Fame! Jason Buck is my President!
Mormon Ute fans do know persecution from both sides. Get with the program, would you? Then again, you're one of those California Mormons.

Actually, being a Mormon Ute fans gives me the best of all worlds. I can laugh at the ninny zoobs and the pinhead antis who claim to be Ute fans. And, I can laugh at the silly zoots.

Good times.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:44 PM   #45
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Mormon Ute fans do know persecution from both sides. Get with the program, would you? Then again, you're one of those California Mormons.

Actually, being a Mormon Ute fans gives me the best of all worlds. I can laugh at the ninny zoobs and the pinhead antis who claim to be Ute fans. And, I can laugh at the silly zoots.

Good times.
I get to laugh at both sides as well...oh and haven't had the frustration of defeat since the Republican Party controlled Congress.

I thought Solon's categorization of mormons on Cougarguard trying to intellectually reconcile liberal academia with their staunchly held religious convictions is very similar to my percetpion of LDS Utes who would like to think their exposure to the world at the U of U allows them to corner both of the markets known as God and Mammon.

Guys like you and I who have been outside of the entire mormon bubble are trully the superior ones with a leg up..hee hee hee.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:50 PM   #46
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I get to laugh at both sides as well...oh and haven't had the frustration of defeat since the Republican Party controlled Congress.

I thought Solon's categorization of mormons on Cougarguard trying to intellectually reconcile liberal academia with their staunchly held religious convictions is very similar to my percetpion of LDS Utes who would like to think their exposure to the world at the U of U allows them to corner both of the markets known as God and Mammon.

Guys like you and I who have been outside of the entire mormon bubble are trully the superior ones with a leg up..hee hee hee.
I would agree with this. Spending time on the banks of the Hudson does give us an advantage.

Frustration of defeat? I remember the 80s. Two years is nothing.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:20 AM   #47
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
On the other hand, it does get annoying when young couples recently moved from Utah bear their testimony for the first time. Their voices seem to always quake with a mixture of fear and relief. Their stories are emotional and poignant and almost invariably involve telling of experiences that are remarkably similar to Hillary Clinton's landing under sniper fire in Bosnia. Apparently Columbus is very scary place but I am always relieved when they tell me how they managed to find their way to Walmart while at the same time avoiding permanent disfigurement. The Horror, The Horror. I am thinking about holding up a sign in these situations: "Ohio is not a third world country." Of course, noah's ward members could not rightly hold up such as sign but I am pretty sure we can get away with it here.
lol! Very funny pelagius. I've seen the same thing here, where we actually are a little closer to a third world country.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:24 AM   #48
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

thank goodness I can't remember the last time a Utahn moving into to my ward.

I do remember a Utahn leaving my ward and saying how it was so scary here but finally she realized (after a number of years) it was a passable place to raise a family after all. How the youth here must be so strong. She was going back to Utah.

and Utah Mormons wonder why they are despised. We have to witness the bubble popping.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #49
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I figured it out. Jet lag plus being in my twenties plus twenties had me off my game. Even then Joe Cool responded with an indirect shot that had most laughing and Sister myboynoah cringing (because she knew exactly what I was saying).

While you are correct about inferiority complexes (evidenced by our friends from Texas and Ohio), pelagius is right that "we" Utah Mormons have earned the resentment, with bonuses. If we're not complaining about the humidity or lack of "real" mountains, we're outraged at having to go directly to SLC for our holy underwear.

You'll be relieved to know that I'm in much better spirts now. I find solace in the words of Our Savior while on the cross: "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do."

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #50
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Apparently Columbus is very scary place but I am always relieved when they tell me how they managed to find their way to Walmart while at the same time avoiding permanent disfigurement. The Horror, The Horror. I am thinking about holding up a sign in these situations: "
Well, Utah Mormons do just fine at the craps table, and they sure don't miss the buffet lines in Vegas. If it weren't for Utah Mormons, there'd be no Mesquite.