cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2008, 01:10 AM   #31
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Then along those lines, taxes are voluntary also.

If you dont want withholdings, adjust your W4. You can pay zero taxes if you wish.
This is BS. Do you honestly not understand the difference between withholding and assessed taxes?
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:00 AM   #32
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Then you have to explain to the IRS why you did what you did and pay all the money owed.

If you don't pay tithing this year, you can do it next year and get a recommend.
If you dont pay tithing, you will have to explain it eventually, also.

There is no way to argue that one is voluntary and completely without penalty while the other is obligatory. They are both voluntary. You are simply putting more emphasis on the temporal penalty that comes with not paying income taxes, while seemingly marginalizing the spiritual penalty that comes along with evading tithing.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:07 AM   #33
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
This is BS. Do you honestly not understand the difference between withholding and assessed taxes?
This thread is not about that. If you feel that it is, go ahead and write your tax treatise and I will read it.

IPU is trying to make the point that income taxes are not voluntary and tithing is.

My point is that they are both obligatory IF

a: you want to stay out of jail
b: you want to get into the temple

Admittedly, if you do not care about having a TR or getting into the temple, then I would agree...tithing is pretty much voluntary, as is chastity, belief in God, and everything else required to enter the temple. As IPU pointed out, you can break those laws this year, but still get a TR next year at some point.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 04-15-2008, 03:15 AM   #34
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
This thread is not about that. If you feel that it is, go ahead and write your tax treatise and I will read it.

IPU is trying to make the point that income taxes are not voluntary and tithing is.

My point is that they are both obligatory IF

a: you want to stay out of jail
b: you want to get into the temple

Admittedly, if you do not care about having a TR or getting into the temple, then I would agree...tithing is pretty much voluntary, as is chastity, belief in God, and everything else required to enter the temple. As IPU pointed out, you can break those laws this year, but still get a TR next year at some point.
I thought this construct:

"If you dont want withholdings, adjust your W4. You can pay zero taxes if you wish."

was meant to claim that the way to pay zero taxes was to adjust your withholding amount. I can see it may be possible that you meant each sentence to be an independent thought. If you were conflating the two thoughts then you probably could stand to benefit from my tax treatise; otherwise, you might find yourself on the receiving end of a phone call from the IRS. If you meant the sentences as independent thoughts then I have no beef.

Aside from that, I agree with IPU. Avoiding taxes lands you in jail. Avoiding tithing doesn't. That's a pretty big difference in my book.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:31 AM   #35
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Avoiding taxes lands you in jail. Avoiding tithing doesn't. That's a pretty big difference in my book.
Your book sounds interesting.

it is mis-categorized, though, and doesn't belong on this shelf.

The point of this part of the discussion was that tithing is only voluntary IF you do not care about the negative repercussions of not paying tithing. Similar to income taxes. If you dont care about penalties and possible jail time, then who cares about income taxes.

Your response....your book.....focuses on which penalty is more severe.

Let's talk after the judgment bar and we can revisit which was more important....income taxes or tithing and other gospel principles.