cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Chaco Culture NHP

Anyone been here?

http://www.nps.gov/chcu/

I am wondering if it is worth a visit. I didn't know much about this culture until recently. Supposedly, it was the most advanced pre-columbian culture in the US. Advanced highways, astronomy, architecture (a single structure with 700+ rooms), etc.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:47 AM   #2
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Anyone been here?

http://www.nps.gov/chcu/

I am wondering if it is worth a visit. I didn't know much about this culture until recently. Supposedly, it was the most advanced pre-columbian culture in the US. Advanced highways, astronomy, architecture (a single structure with 700+ rooms), etc.
Chaco Canyon is one of the most amazing places that I have ever been. it is extremely isolated (only accesible via dirt road) and has very few amenities by design. But the views and the nature are amazing.

I went to Chaco Canyon on a field trip for an archeo-astronomy course that I had, and we had a guided tour Pueblo Bonito is the 700+ room structure that you are talking about that lasted about 4 hours, because of the number of rooms that are aligned to orient toward a particular astronomical happening (i.e. winter solstice sunrise in one room, summer solstice sunset in another, rooms that are tied to the movements of Venus). The level of foresight that was packed into that building was beyond flabbergasting.

There are also a number of good hikes around the park to smaller archaeological sites that are themselves astronomicaly aligned. But one of the best things about the park is that the lack of amenities (and particularly night time lights) make the experience superior. We could hear coyotes every night (which was exciting for me at least), and the stargazing was the best I have ever done.

Chaco Canyon was my favorite camping experience I have ever had and I did it three days after major surgery on my shoulder so I was in a lot of pain and not able to absorb some of the best parts of the park the way I wanted to.

I highly recommend a visit.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Chaco Canyon is one of the most amazing places that I have ever been. it is extremely isolated (only accesible via dirt road) and has very few amenities by design. But the views and the nature are amazing.

I went to Chaco Canyon on a field trip for an archeo-astronomy course that I had, and we had a guided tour Pueblo Bonito is the 700+ room structure that you are talking about that lasted about 4 hours, because of the number of rooms that are aligned to orient toward a particular astronomical happening (i.e. winter solstice sunrise in one room, summer solstice sunset in another, rooms that are tied to the movements of Venus). The level of foresight that was packed into that building was beyond flabbergasting.

There are also a number of good hikes around the park to smaller archaeological sites that are themselves astronomicaly aligned. But one of the best things about the park is that the lack of amenities (and particularly night time lights) make the experience superior. We could hear coyotes every night (which was exciting for me at least), and the stargazing was the best I have ever done.

Chaco Canyon was my favorite camping experience I have ever had and I did it three days after major surgery on my shoulder so I was in a lot of pain and not able to absorb some of the best parts of the park the way I wanted to.

I highly recommend a visit.
Thanks. Sounds fascinating.

"archeo-astronomy"? Where did you take that course?
Old 02-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Thanks. Sounds fascinating.

"archeo-astronomy"? Where did you take that course?
The soon to be Utah Valley University. It was part of the Honors Program (not that I was part of the honors program, I just took the class) and probably my favorite course of all time.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:57 AM   #5
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
We could hear coyotes every night (which was exciting for me at least), and the stargazing was the best I have ever done.
Sounds like my backyard.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:35 AM   #6
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Sounds like my backyard.
I had one cross the trail in front of me on my Saturday run in broad daylight and past noon. That's something I've never seen one do before. It's always been dark or early morning. He wasn't really afraid at all but he made sure to get out of my way. He stopped and watched me for a while and then moved on.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote