cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve
Default Carnaval in South America

Did anyone else serve in South America and get to experience the fun of Carnaval?

It kicks off again later this week and last night there was a little bit about the preparations in Rio, so I busted out some of my old mission photos and was thinking back at some of those memories.

I served in Bolivia, where Carnaval is also celebrated--I believe most, if not all SA countries celebrate it.

In Bolivia, the festivities last about 4 full days. Since they are basically national holidays, everything shuts down....often, you cannot even get public transportation during Carnaval.

The 4 days consist of parades through the main Plaza of town, music and bands playing (traditional national music, not modern rock bands or DJs), lots of food, and lots of drinking. The other aspect, and perhaps the most fun, is the water ballooning. For whatever reason, during Carnaval, people love throwing water on each other....usually with water balloons. Everyone is fair game, and it seemed like fair game anywhere......walking down the street, watching a parade, minding your own business, etc..

Our MP was fantastic and allowed us to take the 4 days, spend it with the members and have fun. There were only a few rules that we absolutely had to observe: we could not go swimming, no matter how wet we were from water balloons, we could not participate in the parades, and we could not dance. we were allowed to throw as many water balloons as we wished. Also, we could be in P-Day attire.

I remember my first Carnaval. We were in a city called Santa Cruz and were with some members who had a nice pick-up truck. About 4 of us missionaries hopped in the back and drove all around town pegging people with water balloons. This lasted most of the day. We would go back to the house, eat, load up with more balloons, and head to another part of town.

The Bolivian carnaval was not as extreme as the Brazilian one is. I never saw any nudity or heard of people getting raped or mugged--although I am sure this was a possibility.

Did anyone here serve in SA and get to participate at all in Carnaval?

I would go back in a heartbeat to get to do that again.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

I was in Uruguay and yes Carnaval was a big deal. My MPs never treated it any different than any other time of year however.

I was hit with several water balloons during Carnaval, but like DDD, I loved it. It lasted about a week and it was one of the best times of the year. (World Cup was also a blast). I had a companion who got hit with the head of a chicken in the leg while we were riding down the street - it was hilarious, but he said it felt like a rock and there was still fresh blood as if the perps had cut the head off for the sole purpose of nailing the "Huevos". To their credit, it was a direct hit.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

They called us huevos in Bolivia, too. I failed to mention what SMR brings up.....it wasnt always water in the balloons. Sometimes you could get a paint, urine, or chica (corn-based beer) bomb, too. Those were less fun.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
They called us huevos in Bolivia, too. I failed to mention what SMR brings up.....it wasnt always water in the balloons. Sometimes you could get a paint, urine, or chica (corn-based beer) bomb, too. Those were less fun.
ah...good times. Thanks for bringing back those memories.

If I ever get the chance to go back to Uruguay, I will try to plan it during Carnaval. It was fun as a missionary, but it would be much more fun as a tourist.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I was in the Canary Islands. Wow, was Carnival a big deal.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

I was in Brazil. We had to be in our houses by 5 pm. The MP would call around to check on us too. It was one of the biggest displays of debauchery you can imagine. People just doing it on the streets. Lasted for 7 days.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
BYUTexan

BYUTexan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu451 View Post
I was in Brazil. We had to be in our houses by 5 pm. The MP would call around to check on us too. It was one of the biggest displays of debauchery you can imagine. People just doing it on the streets. Lasted for 7 days.
sounds like the little dance parties at Liberty Square
BYUTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #8
venomous viper

venomous viper is on a distinguished road
Smile BRASIL for carnaval 68 and 69.

I found out how real the evil one is the first year in southern town of Livramento. The second year I was in state capital of Porto Alegre and our district was invited by some doctor contacts to go to their country club to celebrate with them. It was wonderful, but I got busted and transferred a few days later.. I understand fully why Missionaries are not allowed to be involved in it.
venomous viper is offline   Reply With Quote