cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk
Default Utah-BYU game matchups

Here is how I see the matchups in the upcoming Utah-BYU game

Nevill vs. Plaisted: Nevill is the better defender and has typically outplayed Plaisted, but Plaisted has been more consistent this year. Plaisted has been slumping though.
Advantage - Push (originally a BYU advantage but convinced otherwise)

Shaun Green vs. Jonathan Tavnerari: Tavernari is shooting under 40% from both the field and the 3 point line. Tavernari can't defend. Tavernari can't pass and turns the ball over frequently. Last I checked he had a 1/2.7 assists to turnover ratio. Conversely, Green is a solid defender, a better shooter, and has a 2.7/1 assists to turnover ratio.
Advantage - Utah

Carlon Brown vs. Lee Cummard: I am the leader of the Carlon Brown bandwagon. This guy has the skill and athleticism that I haven't seen at Utah in a long time. Once he learns to finish and develops a jumpshot he is a MWC POY caliber player. However, right now he plays like a freshman with potential.
Advantage - BYU (huge advantage)

Lawrence Borha vs. Sam Burgess: Borha is Utah's best defender. He isn't a great offensive weapon, but he is reliable. Borha is a better shooter and defender.
Advantage - Utah

Tyler Kepkay vs. Ben Murdock: Kepkay is the better scorer, but he turns the ball over too much and doesn't get assists. So he is a flawed PG. Murdock gets his teammates involved, but he is a bad shooter and cannot score. He is also a flawed PG. I think the fact that Kepkay can have a big game scoring gives him the advantage.
Advantage - Utah

Bench: Utah's bench is incredibly thin with injuries to Tillie and Weigh. We have no depth at the PF-C position. Utah's two best players off the bench are good players. I'd take Luka Drca and JB over BYU's starting guards. BYU has better depth, but your top players off the bench are not as good as Drca or JB.
Advantage - Push (tough call choosing between the better players or depth).

I'm not so sure if you look at how the teams are playing right now that BYU is that much better or even a better team than Utah. Utah has proven we can win tough games on the road, which is going to be huge the rest of the season. BYU has more potential because JT can go off and BYU can beat almost anyone when he does, but he rarely does that.

I feel very good about the Utes winning on Saturday.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I haven't seen Utah play, but it sounds reasonable. I'm not expecting a win Saturday. I don't think I'm expecting anything at this point.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote