cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2007, 09:14 PM   #21
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
If there's one commonality with all my many postings, and they be not few, it is to challenge the claims others make, especially when I don't think their arguments are all that compelling.

Is "young and inexperienced" simply a lame excuse, or is there a logical expectation to have 11 freshmen on the offensive 2 deep chart be productive against a top 15 SOS? I don't have to believe Crowton is a great coach to agree that "young and inexperience" was a major obstacle to overcome.

Is there such a thing as "it"? The subjectivity and variability in that definition is so great as to render it meaningless.

Did Beck not have "it" in 2005 even though his numbers were at their best in close games during the 4th quarter and overtime? Maybe the defense didn't have "it", since BYU lost 3 games by 7 points or less after giving up 42 ppg in those games.

Is there a logical basis to actually expect BYU to challenge for BCS conference titles if we were to be invited? Our record versus BCS teams sucks, regardless of the LaVell/Crowton/Bronco era.

Was the priesthood ban simply due to racism? Do we know the mind of God? What do we make of similar historical precedents?

And so forth.

It's not being a corporate guy, it's challenging conventional wisdom.

I was with you for a long part of the trip. Crowton may have not been a good coach, but a lot of messed up things help to make him worse than he really was. Such an enlightened person as Bronco even thought he got a screw job.

I have come to the conclusion eventually he would have been gone. Since I am one who believes God is active in the affairs of BYU for their good, I believe he set up and caused the scandals so Crowton could be gotten rid of in a hurry. God didn't mind an early pay out but he realized the tight folks in charge would care. He gave them something they care about more than money. THE IMAGE!!
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:43 PM   #22
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I still recall your dripping joy after the SDSU game when it appeared BYU was no better off coming on line to proclaim to the world that Gary Crowton was not the problem.
Link?

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...html?id=470352

Last edited by Indy Coug; 12-14-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:54 PM   #23
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I think he means the 2004 SDSU game.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:01 PM   #24
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It was the 2005 SDSU game. You were giddy in telling the world that Bronco was not the panacea many believed.

Basically it was your pride getting in the way of admitting you are wrong. It is people like you that Mike and Adam need to run off so that the world can have the truth.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:44 PM   #25
Indy Coug

Quote:
It was the 2005 SDSU game. You were giddy in telling the world that Bronco was not the panacea many believed.

Basically it was your pride getting in the way of admitting you are wrong. It is people like you that Mike and Adam need to run off so that the world can have the truth.
Link?
Old 12-14-2007, 05:54 PM   #26
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Link?
Why would I want the link when I remember what you said. It was the week after SDSU trashed Bronco's Cougs in San Diego in 2005.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:56 PM   #27
Indy Coug

Quote:
Why would I want the link when I remember what you said. It was the week after SDSU trashed Bronco's Cougs in San Diego in 2005.
Well, I don't recall it, and forgive me for not trusting you on what I said or the attitude I had (i.e. giddy) when I said it.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:58 PM   #28
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Well, I don't recall it, and forgive me for not trusting you on what I said or the attitude I had (i.e. giddy) when I said it.
Giddy was certainly my interpretation for effect.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:07 PM   #29
Indy Coug

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...0-15&archive=1

This covers the first half of October 2005. The SDSU 2005 game was on 10/1.