cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2006, 05:55 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Woody Allen Movies

I like a lot of Woody's films. Annie Hall, Purple Rose of Cairo, Hannah and her Sisters, Manhattan, Radio Days, Sleeper, Melinda & Melinda etc. I haven't seen Match Point yet, so if you've seen it I'm interested in a review.

Here's one of my favorite lines from Annie Hall:

Alvy (Woody):The... the other important joke, for me, is one that's usually attributed to Groucho Marx; but, I think it appears originally in Freud's "Wit and Its Relation to the Unconscious," and it goes like this - I'm paraphrasing - um, "I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member." That's the key joke of my adult life, in terms of my relationships with women."

Good Stuff. Here's a link to more quotes from Annie Hall:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075686/quotes
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:10 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I was watching a Woody Allen movie once and it showed this mother taking her son to a therapist. The boy was depressed because he had just learned that in a few billion years, the sun will burn out and everything on earth will die. He just couldn't see the point of doing anything once he knew that. It was pretty funny. Any idea which movie it is from?
Old 04-25-2006, 06:14 PM   #3
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

That scene is in Annie Hall. The boy was supposed to be a young Alvy (The male lead in the film, played by Woody), but it's kind of a young Woody as well because his character in his films are often autobiographical.

That's a great scene.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:49 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I like Woody Allen movies a lot also.

I was just in a lecture where we were discussing religion and psychiatry. I brought up the appox. quote from one W. Allen movie:

"After seven years, my analyst and I declared it a draw."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:33 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

My personal favorite comes at the very end of the Annie Hall movie. You can thank IMDB for the following quotation (menaing that you don't have to have my butchered rendition):

Alvy Singer: [narrating] After that it got pretty late, and we both had to go, but it was great seeing Annie again. I... I realized what a terrific person she was, and... and how much fun it was just knowing her; and I... I, I thought of that old joke, y'know, the, this... this guy goes to a psychiatrist and says, "Doc, uh, my brother's crazy; he thinks he's a chicken." And, uh, the doctor says, "Well, why don't you turn him in?" The guy says, "I would, but I need the eggs." Well, I guess that's pretty much now how I feel about relationships; y'know, they're totally irrational, and crazy, and absurd, and... but, uh, I guess we keep goin' through it because, uh, most of us... need the eggs.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:58 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sleeper was one of my favorites at the time, but

I might not like it again. The thought of the orgasmatron and that junk food actually is good for you still appeals to me.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:33 PM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ
I like a lot of Woody's films. Annie Hall, Purple Rose of Cairo, Hannah and her Sisters, Manhattan, Radio Days, Sleeper, Melinda & Melinda etc. I haven't seen Match Point yet, so if you've seen it I'm interested in a review.

Here's one of my favorite lines from Annie Hall:

Alvy (Woody):The... the other important joke, for me, is one that's usually attributed to Groucho Marx; but, I think it appears originally in Freud's "Wit and Its Relation to the Unconscious," and it goes like this - I'm paraphrasing - um, "I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member." That's the key joke of my adult life, in terms of my relationships with women."

Good Stuff. Here's a link to more quotes from Annie Hall:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075686/quotes
I saw Match Point and can strongly recomend it. I love many Woody Allen movies. In my opinion his masterpiece is Crimes and Misdemeanors. I agree with the critics that this film is most like that one. But I thought the earlier film had a greater number of interesting, better developed characters, and a great deal more humor. Also, my favorite Woody Allen movies have Woody in a leading role, as did Crimes and Misdemeanors, and Match Point does not. Still, as far as it goes Match Point is well acted, well written, and very well plotted. The plotting is very clever. The filming of London and environs, including some tony estates, is gorgeous. And I get an odd comfort out of Woody's nihilistic, twisted perspective. Maybe it helps me to rationalize some of my terrible past deeds!

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:23 PM   #8
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got to agree with most of what has been said -- Annie Hall, Radio Days, Sleeper, Melinda & Melinda. While not critically acclaimed, I also liked Small Time Crooks.

I've got a page of his quotes bookmarked and jump over to it every once in a while for a good laugh. Has anyone read any of his books?

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote