cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 12:31 AM   #1
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Utes better not complain about the penalties

The personal foul on the last drive was well deserved. The Ute player drilled the receiver when the ball was a couple yards out of bounds and the Db could easily tell the ball was not catchable. That was a personal foul. You cannot fault the referees for calling it. Yes it was piss-poor timing for the utes, but come on, that was a penalty.

Also, that PF penalty was NOT the same as the Kehl penalty. On Kehl's hit on the ute receiver, Kehl was right under the receiver as the ball was going over the receiver. From Kehl's vantage point he likely could not tell if the ball was uncatchable for sure. What Kehl could see from his perspective as he closed in for the hit, was that the Ute receiver was jumping up and fully extending himself trying to catch the ball. You cannot fault Kehl for hitting trying to time his hit as the receiver was trying to catch the ball.

I realize you can try to argue either of those calls, but in both cases I think the ref made the right call. Again, it is debateable, clearly, in both cases, but I think the proper result occured. But the two plays were not exactly alike.

The next penalty was the PI call against the ute DB on the final drive. I think that call could have gone either way. The DB was looking back for the ball, but the DB appeared to be off balance and stumbling backwards into the WR which impeded the WR improperly from going for the ball. Technically the ref, IMO, made the right call. Again, piss-poor timing for the utes, but I think BYU still scores at least a FG to take the lead even without it. I would have been ok with the ref not making the call, but it was PI so the fact that he called it was technically correct.

I especially think the PI call on the last drive was proper and evened things out from the call on Collie earlier in the game that took a TD away from BYU. On the replay you could see that Collie's push off was very light and negligible, and that the ute piece of burnt toast did a great acting job. Technically it was probably PI on Collie, but it was one of those that most people do not want to see refs call all the time, where there is minimal hand checking going on. BYU lost a TD by a call on a questionable (yet technically correct) PI call, and BYU was aided in scoring a TD after another questionable (yet technically correct) PI call. It comes back to the timing of it all at the point in the game when they happened that makes it hard for the utes to swollow it.

Regardless of the two penalties on the last drive, I think BYU would have gotten down to a 30-35 yard probable FG for the win, so I do not think a ute could really argue that the penalties handed the game to BYU. I was just dissappointed BYU did not score 3-10 more points earlier in the game on drives. The utes would probable argue the same thing, but BYU had more scoring opportunities. The better team clearly won, IMO. The utes were good enough to win and gave themselves a chance to do so, but BYU is a very good team and they made more plays the whole game and when it counted most.

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:43 AM   #2
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Regardless of the two penalties on the last drive, I think BYU would have gotten down to a 30-35 yard probable FG for the win, so I do not think a ute could really argue that the penalties handed the game to BYU.
If Payne had to make a 40 yrder to win the game, I think it would be a 50/50 proposition. But that's irrelevant, because it didn't happen.

Utah lost the game on blown coverage on 4 and 18 – not the flags that came after it.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:47 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
If Payne had to make a 40 yrder to win the game, I think it would be a 50/50 proposition. But that's irrelevant, because it didn't happen.

Utah lost the game on blown coverage on 4 and 18 – not the flags that came after it.
Exactly. The penalties never should have happened because of the blown coverage on the 4th down.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:48 AM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Dan! Where have you been?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:50 AM   #5
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Dan! Where have you been?
Right here... Oh, you weren't talking to me.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote