cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 07:07 PM   #11
dut99002

dut99002 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Sure, if you're talking about business school or law school.

That's not the case when it comes to medical school. I believe Harvard med school accepts 1-2 BYU graduates accepted every 10 years. I did not see one person accepted to Harvard in four years at BYU. My brothers (CardiacCoug and my younger bro) were employees of the health professions office and had access to the data, and I believe Cardiac saw just 1 BYU student accepted to Harvard.

There is no doubt that some programs specifically discriminate against BYU graduates. Admissions policies for the Harvard Business School are not related to the policies for the medical school. Heck, the dean of the Harvard Business School was Kim Clark.

I have never been to medical school, nor graduate school for that matter (yet), but why would BYU grads have such a tough time getting admitted specifically with some medical schools?

Are there other med schools besides Harvard that don't readily admit BYU grads?

I heard that their medical school was overrated anyways, and that their dental school was as well (per a buddy of my who is a maxo-faciallary resident).
dut99002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:33 PM   #12
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
A few days ago in this post:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?p=130211

Solon indicated that a BYU undergrad education could hurt one's chances of getting into a good graduate school. Interestingly, I was handed a copy this morning of the results of a study conducted for NSF/NIH/NEH/USED/USDA/NASA. This study tracked US Ph.D. recipients according to where they got their undergraduate degrees. It turns out that BYU ranks #8 in the country on this list, behind (in order) Berkely, Michigan, Cornell, UT-Austin, Illinois, ??? (couldn't read #6 on my photocopy), and UCLA.

This study focused on Ph.D.'s only. However, the guy who gave me the list said that BYU is generally in the top three for M.D.'s and around #2 for dental schools. Not sure about J.D.

Keep in mind that these lists are ranked by raw numbers, not percentages. BYU will show well partly as a result of having a large student body, although that alone certainly would not explain it all.

I am not trying to pick on Solon here. Solon is great. I just thought it was an interesting result and confirmed my understanding that BYU undergrads are highly sought after by graduate schools.
I don't feel picked on, although there is some honor and recognition to be gleaned from a picking-on from Lebowski. If my upbringing taught me anything, it's that any attention is good attention . . .

I'm glad the BY is placing a lot of students in grad programs. That bodes well for future LDS leadership. I was speaking anecdotally - I doubt the Penn State Departments of Sociology or Human Development and Family Studies take a BYU student in the future without looking REAL hard at him/her. Three fairly fundamentalist BYU grads have recently come through here aggressively pursuing research to prop up the Proclamation on the Family. That's all fine and dandy, but (apparently) the profs. didn't appreciate their going into their research with their conclusions in hand. One of them finished and went to work for the church. One of them has finished and can't get a job (I suspect his letters of recommendation are subpar), and one of them was asked to leave. It's caused a lot of angst for the more middle-of-the-road LDS that interact with the faculty of these departments. While I'm sure the screaming-liberal faculty don't appreciate legitimate findings that might undermine their personal convictions, from what I hear these students were especially aggressive in pigeonholing their research interests and avoided topics or data that might have undermined the Proclamation. At any rate, it was quite a conflict - whichever side was acting more closeminded and academically irresponsible.

Although I can't say that the BY or its professors caused these three to hold such fundamentalist positions, the (PSU) faculty of these departments seem to think so. At any rate, their association with the BY has damaged the chances of future BY students gaining admission.

I hope for the sake of future students that this is an isolated case.

I also suspect that this is not a problem in disciplines that the church has no stake in. It's the hot-button topics (gender studies, sociology, family studies, religious history - maybe communications) that would suffer from the fallout. Overall, these are not a huge proportion of the academy.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:49 PM   #13
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
When I went to Columbia, BYU was actually listed in their recruiting brochures as a top feeder school. It was just below Columbia, Barnard (the Columbia version of Radcliffe), Harvard, Yale, GW and a couple of others.
When my brother was applying to law schools, I asked him about Stanford and he told me they had only accepted one BYU undergrad in the last ten years. Is that true? IIRC, He implied his counselor at BYU was his source, but it doesn't sound correct.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:52 PM   #14
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
When my brother was applying to law schools, I asked him about Stanford and he told me they had only accepted one BYU undergrad in the last ten years. Is that true? IIRC, He implied his counselor at BYU was his source, but it doesn't sound correct.
Stanford has a rep for being anti-BYU lately. I can't say why that is, but it was common knowledge (I don't know about accuracy, though) that Stanford was a long shot no matter your credentials.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:07 PM   #15
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
Stanford has a rep for being anti-BYU lately. I can't say why that is, but it was common knowledge (I don't know about accuracy, though) that Stanford was a long shot no matter your credentials.
Probably because Eyring snubbed them for greener pastures.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:27 PM   #16
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I don't feel picked on, although there is some honor and recognition to be gleaned from a picking-on from Lebowski.
LOL.

That's not what Tex thinks.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:42 PM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
Probably because Eyring snubbed them for greener pastures.
One year ago, their top law grad was a BYU undergrad. Okay, so it's anecdotal and a case study of one. Shoot me.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:47 PM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
One year ago, their top law grad was a BYU undergrad. Okay, so it's anecdotal and a case study of one. Shoot me.
There is at least one LDS faculty at the Stanford Law School. Friend of a friend. I hear he is brilliant.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:39 AM   #19
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
I know of 3 people who are Stanford law grads within the last 5 years from my high school who all went to BYU. So that statement is not correct.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote