cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #21
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
I've been to utah, byu and unlv....

As far as the big schools... I wonder if byu will bring that many more to UCLA than Utah did (Yes I was as the rose bowl)
perhaps funk could share the data on attendance from a Utah on the road perspective?

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:55 AM   #22
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

BYU is a bigger draw on the road than Utah and other MWC teams. I have no problems acknowledging that. That is the Mormon factor at work, though it is the only reason it happens.

If there were no Mormons outside of Utah, BYU would most likely be the smallest draw at the OOC team stadiums. And if there were no anti-Mormons in this country, BYU would be the smallest draw in the conference.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:38 PM   #23
dallas dan

dallas dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
You didn't prove anything. You had the same data as funk, he just had a larger data set. BYU improved attendance by 3,500 which was 14% improvement. There does seem to be a BYU factor.
One factor you may not be considering. Concessions sales. Alcohol probably went down 20-25% when BYU comes into town. In addition, BYU fans are notorious for being cheep when it comes to concessions. That being said, I would think traveling fans would be more willing to spend their hard earned disposable income (net of tithing of course.) Just a factor one might consider when analyzing the "BYU factor." (I am not trying to piss you off Santos)
dallas dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:45 PM   #24
dallas dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
BYU is a bigger draw on the road than Utah and other MWC teams. I have no problems acknowledging that. That is the Mormon factor at work, though it is the only reason it happens.

If there were no Mormons outside of Utah, BYU would most likely be the smallest draw at the OOC team stadiums. And if there were no anti-Mormons in this country, BYU would be the smallest draw in the conference.
Of course. For the most part, OOS mormons will follow BYU rather than Utah. I will use Dallas as an example. I went to both the Utah and BYU games at TCU. Utah drew ~1000 (probably overstating), while BYU drew ~4000. Plus the utah game started at 5pm local time. Half the people who wanted to go couldn't because of the commute to fort worth. Pretty sure that 4000 wasn't all alumni. Whereas, the Utah crowd was mostly alumni, or another close association. The Mormon factor is definately in play. I still don't think it gives us much of a national following though, as some would argue on here.

As for the anti-mormon factor.... I love it. We went to the UNLV game one year and a whole group of people came decked out in BYU gear. They were partying like rockstars. Had the bear dispenser helmets and everything. They sat right in the middle of the BYU section drinking like fish. A lot of my fellow fans were offended. Personally, I thought it was pretty funny.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:48 PM   #25
dallas dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr View Post
perhaps funk could share the data on attendance from a Utah on the road perspective?
If we win against AZ, I guarantee it. We had a very good crowd at the USC game, and we had no thoughts of winning that game.