cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 04:13 AM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I know it wasn't ULCER but I did 38 miles....

on Saturday, SLC to Ogden.

Pretty flat, averaged 16 mph (wife was wife me), 2:17 on the cycle computer with my max speed reaching 30 mph (after leaving my wife in the dust, nobody told us flats would occur).

I was surprised at how enjoyable it was. The bum wasn't as sore as I thought, and we were right at the pace we talked about before our ride. I'll train hard this week and see if we can do it again on this upcoming Saturday at about 18 mph (maybe unreasonable).

My wife wants to tackle Emigration soon, or one of the other canyons, is she smoking crack? I think she is as I don't think we're close to being ready for said endeavor.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:26 AM   #2
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Thats a nice ride fus. I remember you asking about cycling about a year and a half ago. Its about time you got with the program.

So whats your goal for fitness right now? It seems like you're really hitting it right now with both running and cycling. Any organized rides or races in your forecast?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:44 AM   #3
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Thats a nice ride fus. I remember you asking about cycling about a year and a half ago. Its about time you got with the program.

So whats your goal for fitness right now? It seems like you're really hitting it right now with both running and cycling. Any organized rides or races in your forecast?
On Saturday's ride I was pissed I didn't buy a bike a lot sooner. I seriously had a blast and it was extremely fun to go on a real ride.

My goals are overall fitness and fun. I am extremely fat, I weigh 253 as of today, and running is hurting my knees. More importantly my wife, who is a very dedicated runner has been experiencing some knee, hip and ankle problems so cycling seemed a reasonable solution. So I hope to lose some lbs around the stomach. (Ask DHU, I am a fat dude)

I just found a cycling route from the avenues down to 133rd S and back again following Wasatch Blvd, totalling a little over 50 miles with what seem to be some nice climbs. I'm going to tackle it on Saturday morning.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:48 AM   #4
fusnik11

http://www.saltlakecycling.com/showride.php?rideID=1006

That's the ride around the valley I hope to do on Saturday.

There is a Century in Heber in late September, I'd love to try but I think it might be a little unreasonable to expect to do something of that distance one I started riding a bike a week ago.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:54 AM   #5
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Fus, check this site for local rides.

Here's what I found for Ogden.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:43 PM   #6
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
on Saturday, SLC to Ogden.

Pretty flat, averaged 16 mph (wife was wife me), 2:17 on the cycle computer with my max speed reaching 30 mph (after leaving my wife in the dust, nobody told us flats would occur).

I was surprised at how enjoyable it was. The bum wasn't as sore as I thought, and we were right at the pace we talked about before our ride. I'll train hard this week and see if we can do it again on this upcoming Saturday at about 18 mph (maybe unreasonable).

My wife wants to tackle Emigration soon, or one of the other canyons, is she smoking crack? I think she is as I don't think we're close to being ready for said endeavor.
You guys can do emigration... i say that based on the fact that i've done it a few times. so if i can do it, anybody can do it.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Your wife will tear you up in the canyon. Extra weight kills in the climbs.

I though I would add that I have seen many fat very-fit cyclists. Cycling fitness does not necessarily mean weight loss. I have seen this with my very own eyes. Myself included. I weighed 185 and for the life of me couldn't lose weight cycling. But when I started playing basketball regularly (3-5 times a week) my weight went down to 170. So just know that nutrition will play a big role in losing weight while you are cycling.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote