cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of FARMS?
Den of liars and cheats 3 15.00%
Perfect acronym; I think of a funny farm 2 10.00%
High powered academics doing ground breaking work 1 5.00%
Honest advocates 9 45.00%
Option 1 & 2 5 25.00%
Option 3 & 4 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2007, 04:09 AM   #131
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Einstein has been a favorite of mine, but in my mind, he was an agnostic believing in part in an immaterial Deistic God.

Spinoza, a very tedious read, was certainly considered our First Atheist.

As to your comment of detesting Mormon culture, I find it interesting that because Mormon art is so horrific, dull and commonplace, yet we still develop basically honest, productive and reasonably reliable citizens, a testament that their is a spirit behind Mormonism. With as bad as our literature, music, and art is, we still inspire or least we inspired common sacrifice, without the Huxley orators or mass media promotions. We have succeeded and functioned in spite of our awkwardness.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:21 AM   #132
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

More Einstein quotes:

"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind."

"We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality."

"Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish."

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

"When the solution is simple, God is answering."

"All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree."

"Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts."

"There comes a time when the mind takes a higher plane of knowledge but can never prove how it got there."

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:30 AM   #133
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
More Einstein quotes:

"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind."

"We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality."

"Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish."

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

"When the solution is simple, God is answering."

"All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree."

"Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts."

"There comes a time when the mind takes a higher plane of knowledge but can never prove how it got there."
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

Actually, there's nothing wrong with those quotes. They're fine quotes. I complain about Mormonism being blind to history and most of that history is religious history. Just about all history is about or intimately involves religion one way or another. The Enlightenment took root in a Christian Europe and was brought on by means of an Italian Renaissance whose seat was the Vatican. Considered in this light your and my Einstein quotations are consistent.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 07-24-2007 at 03:36 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:41 AM   #134
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

Actually, there's nothing wrong with those quotes. They're fine quotes. I complain about Mormonism being blind to history and most of that history is religious history. Just about all history is about or intimately involves religion one way or another. The Enlightenment took root in a Christian Europe and was brought on by means of an Italian Rennaisance whose seat was the Vatican. Considered in this light your and my Einstein quotations are consistent.
Fair enough.

The only thing that bothers me is sanitized LDS history. As for what perceived blindness you feel the church has, it doesn't bother me. I go to church for spiritual reasons, not history lessons. That you don't is fine. I only ask that you turn down the ridicule a notch or two.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:25 AM   #135
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:

Actually, there's nothing wrong with those quotes. They're fine quotes. I complain about Mormonism being blind to history and most of that history is religious history. Just about all history is about or intimately involves religion one way or another. The Enlightenment took root in a Christian Europe and was brought on by means of an Italian Rennaisance whose seat was the Vatican. Considered in this light your and my Einstein quotations are consistent.
Yeah, it's sure annoying when others are blind to the obvious.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:15 PM   #136
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP

When I think of Seattle, I can't help think of this scene from Good Will Hunting:

Chuckie: Are we gonna have a problem here?

SeattleUte: No, no, no, no! There's no problem here. I was just hoping you might give me some insight into the evolution of the market economy in the southern colonies. My contention is that prior to the Revolutionary War, the economic modalities, especially in the southern colonies, could be most aptly described as agrarian precapitalist.

Chuckie: Let me tell you something -

Will: Of course that's your contention. You're a first-year grad student; you just got finished reading some Marxian historian, Pete Garrison probably. You're gonna be convinced of that 'till next month when you get to James Lemon. Then you're going to be talking about how the economies of Virginia and Pennsylvania were entrepreneurial and capitalist way back in 1740. That's gonna last until next year; you're gonna be in here regurgitating Gordon Wood, talkin' about, you know, the pre-revolutionary utopia and the capital-forming effects of military mobilization.

SeattleUte: Well, as a matter of fact, I won't, because Wood drastically underestimates the impact of social -

Will: "Wood drastically underestimates the impact of social distinctions predicated upon wealth, especially inherited wealth"? You got that from Vickers' "Work in Essex County," page 98, right? Yeah, I read that too. Were you gonna plagiarize the whole thing for us? Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter? Or do you, is that your thing, you come into a bar, read some obscure passage and then pretend - you pawn it off as your own, as your own idea just to impress some girls, embarrass my friend?

SeattleUte: [looks down in shame]

Will: See, the sad thing about a guy like you is, in 50 years you're gonna start doin' some thinkin' on your own and you're going to come up with the fact that there are two certainties in life: one, don't do that, and two, you dropped 150 grand on a f***in' education you could have got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library!

SeattleUte: Yeah, but I will have a degree. And you'll be servin' my kids fries at a drive-thru on our way to a skiing trip.

Will: That may be, but at least I won't be unoriginal.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:27 PM   #137
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
When I think of Seattle, I can't help think of this scene from Good Will Hunting:

Chuckie: Are we gonna have a problem here?

SeattleUte: No, no, no, no! There's no problem here. I was just hoping you might give me some insight into the evolution of the market economy in the southern colonies. My contention is that prior to the Revolutionary War, the economic modalities, especially in the southern colonies, could be most aptly described as agrarian precapitalist.

Chuckie: Let me tell you something -

Will: Of course that's your contention. You're a first-year grad student; you just got finished reading some Marxian historian, Pete Garrison probably. You're gonna be convinced of that 'till next month when you get to James Lemon. Then you're going to be talking about how the economies of Virginia and Pennsylvania were entrepreneurial and capitalist way back in 1740. That's gonna last until next year; you're gonna be in here regurgitating Gordon Wood, talkin' about, you know, the pre-revolutionary utopia and the capital-forming effects of military mobilization.

SeattleUte: Well, as a matter of fact, I won't, because Wood drastically underestimates the impact of social -

Will: "Wood drastically underestimates the impact of social distinctions predicated upon wealth, especially inherited wealth"? You got that from Vickers' "Work in Essex County," page 98, right? Yeah, I read that too. Were you gonna plagiarize the whole thing for us? Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter? Or do you, is that your thing, you come into a bar, read some obscure passage and then pretend - you pawn it off as your own, as your own idea just to impress some girls, embarrass my friend?

SeattleUte: [looks down in shame]

Will: See, the sad thing about a guy like you is, in 50 years you're gonna start doin' some thinkin' on your own and you're going to come up with the fact that there are two certainties in life: one, don't do that, and two, you dropped 150 grand on a f***in' education you could have got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library!

SeattleUte: Yeah, but I will have a degree. And you'll be servin' my kids fries at a drive-thru on our way to a skiing trip.

Will: That may be, but at least I won't be unoriginal.
I don't understand this. Maybe because I couldn't finish this movie it was so terrible.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-24-2007, 06:27 PM   #138
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't understand this. Maybe because I couldn't finish this movie it was so terrible.
See if you can scrounge up a unapologetic review of it, if you can.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:33 PM   #139
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
See if you can scrounge up a unapologetic review of it, if you can.
I know there are some big fans of Robin Williams' serious work here. Maybe they can decipher this for us.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-24-2007, 06:43 PM   #140
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
I know there are some big fans of Robin Williams' serious work here. Maybe they can decipher this for us.
Robin Williams wasn't in that scene.