View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 10:51 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
While it may not be a testimony breaker for you, it is most definitely a testimony breaker for some. Joseph was willing to lie to his followers about his practice of polyandry. It is not that big of a leap to come to the conclusion that he possibly lied about other revelatory experiences. While we all know our leaders are not perfect and they make mistakes, this "mistake" seems more insidious than even adultry. It is difficult to reconcile the prophetic call of Joseph with these actions.

I have prayed asking for peace of mind concerning these things and am still left wanting. I have not left the church but it troubles me greatly.
Sooner has well stated why it is not and should not be a testimony breaker of itself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
People have faith that the Mormon Church is true because they like being Mormon. That's why it's a silly thing to lose one's faith over. It's not about whether JS was 100% legit, 90% legit, or 0% legit. Being Mormon instead of Methodist is like preferring chocolate ice cream to vanilla.
He nailed it.

I was recently with a close relative who said about his Mormon faith, "I like believing what we believe. It makes me and my family happy and productive, even if it isn't true." I say God bless all such people. For such people it is in a very real sense "true."

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote