cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
Valentinus1

Valentinus1 is on a distinguished road
Default Community of Christ World Conference Resolution Proposals

G-14 Legal Marriage and the Sacrament of Marriage
From the Southern California USA Mission Center

Whereas, Community of Christ is an international denomination providing ministry in diverse cultures and ethnic backgrounds around the world; and

Whereas, Marriage customs, traditions, and legal requirements vary throughout the world; and

Whereas, Marriage is a legal contract (marriage license) between the couple and the government which imparts to other parties certain prescribed rights and duties that are generally enforceable in various states and nations of the world, such as property rights, inheritance, and kinship; and

Whereas, The sacrament of marriage is a sacred covenant between a couple and God in which the church participates with sanction, blessing, support, and guidance; and

Whereas, In some locations the minister acts as both an agent of the government as well as a representative of the church, while in other locations a separate civil government agent must also be involved; and

Whereas, The sacrament of marriage institutes a sacred covenant between two persons seeking to make a lifelong committed relationship; therefore, be it

Resolved, In jurisdictions where such is permissible by local law, that appropriate Community of Christ priesthood be authorized to perform the sacrament of marriage for two consenting individuals seeking to enter into a sacred covenant before God in a long-term monogamous committed relationship.

Marriage Couple
Submitted by the Canada East Mission Centre and the Arizona USA Mission Center

Whereas, the gospel of Jesus Christ proclaims that all persons are of equal worth in the sight of God (Doctrine and Covenants 16:3c–f; James 2:1–13); and

Whereas, God calls people according to their giftedness and not specifically by gender, race, economic or educational status (Doctrine and Covenants 119:8b); and

Whereas, The sacraments symbolize God’s gracious interaction within the life of the church as a whole and within the individual life of each disciple; and

Whereas, The sacrament of marriage symbolizes a sacred covenant between two people seeking to make a lifelong commitment of mutual support, love, and faithfulness to one another; and

Whereas, Instructions given in former times are applicable in principle to the needs of today, and the principles are to be evaluated and to be interpreted anew (Doctrine and Covenants 147:7); and

Whereas, WCR 1182 and WCR 272 contain principles of relationships involving marriages that apply to any person but which currently contain wording that could exclude some disciples; therefore, be it

Resolved, That WCR 1182 be amended by replacing the words “husband and wife” with the words “marriage couple”; and

Resolved, That WCR 272 be amended by replacing the words “husband and wife” with the words “marriage couple.”

G-20 Referring Matters of Marriage
From the South Central Africa Mission Centre:

Whereas, Community of Christ has been counseled in Doctrine and Covenants 162:5c to “Listen together to one another without judgment or predisposition” and to not assume that the answers to matters of conflict have yet been perceived as there is much labor to be done with a need to reason together in love and that the Spirit of truth will prevail; and

Whereas, Further counsel has been given in Doctrine and Covenants 163: 11b that “There are many issues that could easily consume the time and energy of the church. However, the challenge before a prophetic people is to discern and pursue what matters most for the journey ahead;” and

Whereas, An important part of being Community of Christ, a true worldwide community, is learning to talk about divisive issues without division through a process that incorporates healthy decision making and common consent that is seen, regardless of the outcome, as fair by those who have different views; and

Whereas, As a worldwide community we are always confronted with challenges such as poverty, HIV/AIDS, homelessness, orphans and vulnerable children, social injustice, and issues related to human sexuality, etc.; and, on such important matters, a spirit of trust should prevail in order to avoid situations where one side is closed to the other’s situation or point of view making it difficult, if not impossible, to hold meaningful discussion; and

Whereas, In some states and nations the law of the land needs to be considered in these discussions so that inappropriate decisions do not adversely impact the mission of the church and put at risk the well-being of the church’s ministers in those areas; and

Whereas, As an Enduring Principle, Community of Christ affirms the worth of all persons, understanding that God views all people as having inestimable and equal worth, wanting them to experience wholeness of body, mind, spirit, and relationships; challenging unjust systems that diminish human worth; and joining with Jesus Christ in bringing good news to the poor, sick, captive, and oppressed; therefore, be it

Resolved, That Community of Christ members and ministers work with communities to affirm homosexual persons as no less than heterosexual persons as individuals of sacred worth and continue their support for the rights and liberties of homosexual persons as an issue of justice; and be it further

Resolved, That all the legislation to the 2010 World Conference pertaining to matters of same-sex marriage be referred to the First Presidency for consideration, looking for the means by which these matters could be considered more fully in a culturally contextual manner by the mission centers of the church rather than the World Conference determining a universal stance for the entire church.

G-13 Policy on Priesthood
From the Headwaters USA/Canada Mission Center

Whereas, Community of Christ is an international denomination providing ministry in diverse cultures and ethnic backgrounds in many nations of the world; and

Whereas, The scriptural standard for calls to the priesthood is to be called of God and accepted by the people; and all other standards are cultural in nature and tend to vary from one culture to the next; and

Whereas, There is no record of Jesus giving any specific instruction about sexual orientation, but Jesus did instruct us to love one another, and in both word and action taught us to embrace marginalized persons; and

Whereas, The current World Church policy on sexual orientation with regards to priesthood ministry is inconsistent with World Conference Resolution 1226, which states that “human beings often fear, hate, and abuse each other because of ignorance about such factors as socioeconomic status, culture, race, gender, age, size, sexual orientation, gender identity, and mental or physical disability. Such prejudicial behavior undermines the personal and spiritual development of both abuser and abused, and denies the mutual benefits of shared giftedness;” therefore, be it

Resolved, That this Conference affirm that the fundamental requirement for one to be called to priesthood office is that he or she be called by one having appropriate administrative authority and approved by the sustaining vote of the proper jurisdictional conference or business meeting; and be it further

Resolved, That it is the sense of the World Conference that the Standing High Council Statement on Homosexuality (March 18, 1982), and the World Church Leadership Council document “Community, Common Consent, and the Issue of Homosexuality” (October 2002), which restrict the ordination of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) members should be rescinded by those bodies responsible to do so; and be it further

Resolved, That calls for priesthood for LGBT members should be processed through the normal procedures, and be it further

Resolved, that when appropriate calls to LGBT persons are approved through normal administrative and legislative channels, jurisdictions are encouraged to welcome those called as priesthood members, but in no way does this mandate priesthood calls for LGBT members in those jurisdictions where culture and understanding inhibit, or the law prohibits homosexuals from full participation.

G-9 Resolution on Human Rights
From the Rocky Mountain USA Mission Center

Whereas, There have been many attempts on resolutions to the World Conference for and against homosexuality, and

Whereas, Homosexuality remains a controversial issue in the world and within Community of Christ, and

Whereas, Reports have been given over the years to help the worldwide body of Community of Christ to deal with the issue of full inclusion of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (GLBT) persons within Community of Christ; and

Whereas, We are committed to being a worldwide church—loving, respecting, and appreciating theological, cultural, and socioeconomic differences; and

Whereas, On December 18, 2008, the first declaration on gay rights was presented to the United Nations General Assembly declaring that “we reaffirm the principal of nondiscrimination which requires that human rights apply equally to every human being regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity;” and

Whereas, Community of Christ has a presence in many nations and cultures where homosexuality is not a barrier to equal rights; therefore, be it

Resolved, That we address global homosexuality as an issue primarily from a human rights perspective; and be it further

Resolved, That we take courageous steps to be in the forefront of those organizations which are helping to bring to bear just solutions to human rights violations for GLBT persons in the world, and be it further

Resolved, That Community of Christ answer its calling as a prophetic church, and that leaders act courageously and with spiritual insights, seeking resolution to eliminate all forms of discrimination, including discrimination against GLBT persons; and be it further

Resolved, It is the sense of this Conference that full inclusion of GLBT persons in the life of Community of Christ be allowed where accepted in nations, states and territories, and Community of Christ congregations; and be it further

Resolved, That the First Presidency be encouraged to actively support programs to help congregations become more welcoming and more effective in resisting discrimination in all forms, including those against GLBT persons.

I just thought that this would be interesting to share. Any thoughts?

-Teresa Moreno
Professor of Christian History and Ethics
Valentinus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I support gay marriage so that I can belittle and stigmatize unmarried gay couples.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
Valentinus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I support gay marriage so that I can belittle and stigmatize unmarried gay couples.
That made me laugh Mike.Thanks.

-Teresa Moreno
Old 01-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinus1 View Post
That made me laugh Mike.Thanks.
You think I am kidding.

Immediate recension of domestic benefits, for a start.

I am a big fan of "be careful what you ask for, you might get it."

And there is a whole lotta bullshit going around with gay couples whining and crying that they cannot marry their partner, when in fact they have no intention of doing so.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
Valentinus1

Quote:
You think I am kidding.

Immediate recension of domestic benefits, for a start.

I am a big fan of "be careful what you ask for, you might get it."

And there is a whole lotta bullshit going around with gay couples whining and crying that they cannot marry their partner, when in fact they have no intention of doing so.
I recognize the problems surrounding gay marriage. I have never been in favor of it and I don't intend to.

Hypothetically speaking, if I were to be in a relationship with another man...I wouldn't marry him. I don't want to become a probability in the divorce statistic. I don't need that bullshit coming down on me as well as taking on the possibility of failing in the marriage.

As for what you said above, I totally agree with you.

Personally, marriage has become a joke. I'm finding in small ways even in Mormon circles that it is as well.

I'm okay with date a while and short engagement. They're young and they're horny. Why prolong the inevitable? However, short dating and short engagement makes courtship and marriage seem to be a joke. I know that for many it has worked but IMO it is playing with fire.

Thankfully, my brothers and sisters didn't follow either of these paths. They did long dating and long engagement as a test of strength.

As for benefits, no insurance company wants to put your spouse on your insurance. If hospitalization occurs, your spouse has absolutely NO rights unless they are appointed as the medical power of attorney. One person cannot be determined and/or appointed. This stands for gay and straight couples alike. There is really nothing special about marriage in America. It is merely a paid contract between the couple and the state/federal government.

-Teresa Moreno
Old 01-15-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinus1 View Post
If hospitalization occurs, your spouse has absolutely NO rights unless they are appointed as the medical power of attorney. One person cannot be determined and/or appointed. This stands for gay and straight couples alike. There is really nothing special about marriage in America. It is merely a paid contract between the couple and the state/federal government.
This is not true. In the case of a hospitalized person not being able to make decisions, there is a decision tree that is followed, and at least in my state, the first person who is consulted for what the patient's wishes are is the spouse. I believe this is codified in state law.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Valentinus1

Quote:
This is not true. In the case of a hospitalized person not being able to make decisions, there is a decision tree that is followed, and at least in my state, the first person who is consulted for what the patient's wishes are is the spouse. I believe this is codified in state law.
An aunt of mine is a Family Nurse Practitioner (next closest to an MD) in Utah and she provided me with this information and misunderstood part of it.

I was wrong in what I wrote. I apologize. It does first go to the spouse. Example: Terry Schaivo (sp?)

Thanks Mike.

-Teresa Moreno