cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 10:44 PM   #51
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Aha.....let's see San Francisco bay area and The City of "Brotherly Love."

Another piece to the puzzle!
I just thought of another tidbit I could tie in to the hypothesis, but I fear most men don't have skin that thick, so I shall bite my tongue.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:48 PM   #52
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
So let me get this straight--you aren't arguing that gay gentification exists. You aren't arguing that it isn't in fact happening in the neighborhoods literally a stones throw from you. Rather you are making the narrow argument that the neighborhood you live in, tightly circumscribed (no pun intended), is being populated by gays who are not gentrifying, who are not adding to property values, but who are in fact creating a climate of oppression for you.

Is this correct?
Reread my posts, they speak for themselves. Aren't you going to respond to the cities I've lived in? Shouldn't you now make your statement that you are so much more cosmopolitan than the kid from New Jersey? Or are you instead going to make another silly inuendo that I'm homosexual? Maybe, you'll start talking about kicked dogs again. In a fit of fine fantasy, I thought you might want to talk about the real subject but it seems you don't and therefore, I'm done. You won't talk about the subject and I don't want to have a discussion with you about the neighborhoods of Salt Lake City which you have amply demonstrated you know nothing about.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:04 PM   #53
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
Reread my posts, they speak for themselves. Aren't you going to respond to the cities I've lived in? Shouldn't you now make your statement that you are so much more cosmopolitan than the kid from New Jersey? Or are you instead going to make another silly inuendo that I'm homosexual? Maybe, you'll start talking about kicked dogs again. In a fit of fine fantasy, I thought you might want to talk about the real subject but it seems you don't and therefore, I'm done. You won't talk about the subject and I don't want to have a discussion with you about the neighborhoods of Salt Lake City which you have amply demonstrated you know nothing about.
I apologize for my behavior during this thread. It probably reminded you of how you have been treated by the neighborhood gays. Sorry.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:11 PM   #54
K-dog

Quote:
I apologize for my behavior during this thread. It probably reminded you of how you have been treated by the neighborhood gays. Sorry.
Apology is accepted in the manner in which it is given.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 11-13-2007, 12:27 AM   #55
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I just read another article on the Marmalade district of SLC and their effort to define themselves as a "gayborhood." I'm intrigued by the effort to label and carve out districts that are predominantly homosexual. The 'Mos seem to be trying to create their own area in each city where others views aren't tolerated. As someone living in one of the areas they are trying to control, I get really sick of their constant efforts to silence the opinions of others and impose on others lives.
How are they any different from anyone else? One of the reasons we bought a house where we did was because there were a lot of young families like us living here. I wanted my kids to have the opportunity to have neighbor friends. Why wouldn't gays and lesbians seek out the same familiarity when they house hunt?

Also, I am curious what you mean by
Quote:
constant efforts to silence the opinions of others and impose on others lives
Can you share some specific examples of what your gay neighbors in the Avenues are doing to silence your opinions and impose on your life?
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:54 PM   #56
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Gays will typically move into marginal neighborhoods, that educated well-off non-gay folks would not move to. They start rehabilitating the neighborhoods and then suddenly the straight people start moving in as well.

Gay neighbors is about as good as you can do in terms of neighbors.

If you really hate what has happened then don't be a hypocrite. Donate the increased value of your home when you sell to an anti-gay group.
I come way late to this, but Mike is correct. My BiL and SiL bought in a marginal neighborhood with hopes that things would turn around and they would reap the benefits. It was great going to visit them in "the hood." The neighbor lady made and sold some great fish sandwiches. The guys at the boarding house down the street always waved as we passed.

Things didn't improve as quickly as they would have liked. My SiL was always concerned about safety so the situation started to wear on them and they began to think about moving. Sadly, the final straw was when lesbians moved in across the street. I kept telling my wife to tell them that lesbians moving in was a good sign, not a bad one. But to avail, they moved out soon after.

I'm going to go check out the neighborhood when we visit for T-Giving.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:58 PM   #57
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Sadly, the final straw was when lesbians moved in across the street.
The must have gotten the unfortunate chain email "when Lesbian neighbors attack".
Old 11-13-2007, 04:16 PM   #58
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
How are they any different from anyone else? One of the reasons we bought a house where we did was because there were a lot of young families like us living here. I wanted my kids to have the opportunity to have neighbor friends. Why wouldn't gays and lesbians seek out the same familiarity when they house hunt?

Also, I am curious what you mean by

Can you share some specific examples of what your gay neighbors in the Avenues are doing to silence your opinions and impose on your life?
Read the thread. I include examples.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 11-13-2007, 04:37 PM   #59
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I include examples.
Examples=plural. I only noticed you mentioning one: the sign being torn down and thrown in your window. Were there other examples that I missed?
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:46 PM   #60
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
Examples=plural. I only noticed you mentioning one: the sign being torn down and thrown in your window. Were there other examples that I missed?
Multiple signs being torn down, one thrown through window. Sufficient examples for me.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr