cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2006, 10:37 PM   #1
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk
Default So are you BYU fans getting embarrassed

By the amount of coverage that every single word that Whittingham utters is getting on cougarboard. Ever single word the man seems to say, brings about page after page of posts. I remember last offseason that utefans.net was overrun with posts about what Bronco or Curtis Brown had said. It got ridiculous and embarrassing. Glad the tables are turned this time.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:28 PM   #2
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Yeah, kinda. I love a Kyleperbole as much as the next guy, but some guys just obsess over it and get ticked off.

I really like Kyle Wittingham. I wouldn't say I wish he was coaching at BYU, but it does sting a little that he's at the U.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:05 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Annoyed by the constant attention to his comments out of context.

I wanted Whit as our coach, but will deal with Bronco now that he's here. That said, I do not pay attention to what Whit says, as he doesn't coach the Cougs.

The comments on both boards at times resembles the commentary some of my elementary school children once uttered. "Can you believe he said ..."

If those are not the most inane style of comments, then I do not know what is.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:27 AM   #4
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we really dont have anything to talk smack about. Last season I started talking a bit of smack after BYU beat Colorado St and New Mexico and the U lost to them, but they beat us, so now, we have to wait atleast until the season gets underway.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:36 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick It In Him
I've said it before and I'll say it again, we really dont have anything to talk smack about. Last season I started talking a bit of smack after BYU beat Colorado St and New Mexico and the U lost to them, but they beat us, so now, we have to wait atleast until the season gets underway.
I no longer talk smack. I just let the scoreboard do the talking.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:58 PM   #6
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't understand it either...and the latest thing that people are getting up in arms about is him saying that certain players have all conference potential...gotta hate a guy who believes in his team...

We're seeing more criticism of Weddle too...it should be fun to see that Circus continue.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:39 AM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Not at all.

I like KW a lot. He has put his foot in his mouth thus far a lot more than Bronco has, but that doesn't mean I don't like and respect KW as a person and coach.

Of course, U fans never harp on Curtis Brown, Bronco's slip n slide, Poppinga victories...etc...etc.

It's no biggie either way.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:44 PM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk
By the amount of coverage that every single word that Whittingham utters is getting on cougarboard. Ever single word the man seems to say, brings about page after page of posts. I remember last offseason that utefans.net was overrun with posts about what Bronco or Curtis Brown had said. It got ridiculous and embarrassing. Glad the tables are turned this time.
I am a little embarassed by it. We've coveted KW for a long time. He owned Norm Chow and then Gary Crowton for most of the last ten years.

He was our first choice as head coach. He turned us down. We ended up with a nobody that's half the coach KW is. Bronco appears to be growing into the job but he has a long way to go. But now that we lost him we shouldn't be obsessed with him. That's the U's job to be obsessed with us.

KW will probably ultimately fail because BYU has too much history and resources to allow football to fail, and I don't think a Mormon coach at Utah can be successful while BYU is good.

Utah's standard for greatness is to 1) go non-Mormon and ignore the LDS market for the most part and take the LDS kids that grow up Ute fans and fall in your lap (Majerus, Giac, and where Urban was going) or 2) go Mormon and make a frontal assault at BYU and win. #2 is pretty risky.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:45 PM   #9
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos
We ended up with a nobody that's half the coach KW is.
Riiiiiight.. that's a pretty bold comment, and i think you are dead wrong. both schools ended up with the right coach for them.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:17 PM   #10
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos
KW will probably ultimately fail because BYU has too much history and resources to allow football to fail, and I don't think a Mormon coach at Utah can be successful while BYU is good.
If I am reading this correctly, KW's success is entirely based upon how BYU performs?
Secondly, how would a good BYU team prevent an LDS coach at Utah from winning?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote