cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 08:07 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default interesting mark hoffman article.....

in the ogden paper yesterday...

http://www2.standard.net/standard/64276/

gene sessions a man extensively quoted in this article is a friend of mine. dude is the authority on the mountain meadows massacre. he toured the prophet when the prophet re-dedicated the site a while back.

anyways i found the article interesting and would love to have a sitdown with mr hoffman. at the time i was too young to understand what was going on.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 10:43 PM   #2
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

You would love to have a sitdown with Mark Hoffman? No offense, Fus, but are you kidding me? Hoffman was one of the most evil people to live in our generation in regards to the church. He was a horrible man that ruined many lives. He was a murderer and someone that would have loved to have had Gordon B Hinckley as well as other leaders of the church fall on their face and be embarrassed in front of the world.

Mark Hoffman is a horrible man that should be despised, not someone that should be revered for his so called 'talent' of fooling people to make money and to make a mockery of the church. He was a black mark on the church and a bad man to the families and friends of those he killed. This was not entirely directed at you Fusnik, but it is simply a summary of my feelings toward this man.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:59 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

life in prison is too kind. death by firing squad is too kind.

As I was sitting here thinking of the best torture for him. I thought, the best punishment is one that fits the crime. Death by bomb. His own bomb. torture him until he takes supplied bomb ingredients, fashions it, and blows himself up. But the trick is he makes the decision to kill himself, but is not allowed to. Bomb materials don't work.

and that's just a start.

the character I am most like on Lost is probably Sayid.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 12:12 AM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Evil incarnate

Imagine serving a mission and making bombs. Definitely a genius misguided and destined for bad things.

I would not want to meet him for fear of tearing him apart.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:05 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default He almost did blow himself up...

a bomb in his car detonated across the street from the Deseret Gym - now the Conference Center.

I particularly remember that day because I had come home for a funeral of a family friend. I happened to be in the branch of a Citibank (no longer in SLC) on the corner of South Temple and Main Street when the bomb went off. It really scared a number of people in the bank and understandably so. However, it didn't even phase me, as I had served a mission in Sicily and had been home less than 6 months at the time. A bomb going off wasn't an every day thing in Sicily, but I had been around enough of it while on the mission to not be affected by it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 01:19 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just now finished reading..

the article in the link to the Standard Examiner. Glad to see I remembered correctly as to when the bombs went off. My memory isn't what it should be at times, but I at least remember things like that well.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 02:06 AM   #7
Nobody Special

Nobody Special

I drove by the place shortly afterwards on my way to work on some rich guys house up in the avenues.

The car was sitting there all black and smoking, and I was clueless about what was going on at the time, something to due with young dumb and full........well you know the rest.

But, it's really too bad that the bomb didn't do more damage to him. Then he could have been the gimp in prison. Like the gimp in the Terrentino movie. Can't remember the name of show for the life of me though.

Go Cougars!
Nobody Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 02:40 AM   #8
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Very interesting stuff. As a convert, I'm not all that familiar with a lot of this although I vaguely remember a 20/20 expose or something recently on this guy. My interest has been piqued for the Throckmorton book, though, in order to see the inner workings of the forger life. So still no one knows where he created his forgeries, including whatever work he had done so far on the 116 pages?

Confessional time: In 6th grade I forged my mom's signature verifying I had read a book so that I could get a free pizza at Pizza Hut. I broke out the tracing paper for that bad boy.
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 03:08 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to forge my dad's signature a few times. Nothing that he wouldn't have signed. But just that I had forgotten to get him to sign stuff.

I would have a copy of his sig, then put pencil on the backside of the paper, then trace over the signature, so that it would press the pencil onto the new piece of paper. Trace over it quickly freehand (hesitation marks bad) with pen, then erase pencil.

I have to sign a million things. I have about 10 different signatures based on how much of a hurry I am in. That's why I think it's weird that handwriting experts can use just one "real" signature to make a decision. You couldn't with me.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 03:41 PM   #10
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ....

i find it fascinating that he was able to figure out how to forge documents....

i find it very intriguing that he actually thought he could forge the lost 116 pages...

and i find it very interesting the response our church had to his forgeries...

thats why id like to talk to him. i sense an angst and vitriolic hate for the man. like i said, i was far too young to realize what was going on so i claim ignorance on the subject matter.....

i know he killed some people which is absolutely horrible...is the hatred towards him geared because he actually duped some leaders of our church? i can think of many people off the top of my head that do significant damage to the church everyday yet dont feel such strong negative feelings towards them...
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote