cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 11:45 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Constructing a self-sufficient home

Or, alternatively titled, "how to build a bunker."

I have long been interested in eventually living in a home that was energy self-sufficient and provided it own water where possible, and all that good stuff.

One of my good friends is an architect and I have talked to him over the years about this. We just talked today and he is very interested in designing and building a place with the above ideas, as well as plans for storage and security, all in an unobtrusive fashion.

Before you think I'm going Koresh on you, I like the idea of living in a piece of art. A well thought out home. A unique home. Typically my favorite houses in a city are the ones that are intriguing, different, out of place. There is this neat house not far from where I live that looks from the back like a half-buried piece of cement. Well, the house recently went on the market. I was surprised to learn that it had been featured in architectural stuff, and I was even more surprised to learn the pricetag: over a million dollars (probably by far the most expensive house in the neighborhood by a factor of 2 or 3).

Now if my security code ends up being 4 8 15 16 23 42 THEN you can be worried about me!

MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:06 AM   #2
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I wasn't thinking so much Koresh, but I imagine you may be able to find something to your liking up in Western Montana or Northern Idaho.

Unfortunately they already took away Ted Kazinski's place on a flat bed trailer, but I hear the "freeman" are always looking for new recruits up in those parts.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 04:26 AM   #3
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road
Default I'm with you most of the way...

The only thing I don't like is artwork out of place.

I like creative architecture but I firmly believe it should blend with its surroundings. I'd like something in the Southwest done in a way that really fits into the sandstone. I'm not big on the wanna be mexican haciendas or the chaco style adobe houses, but the color and layout shoud accent the landscape.

My friend lives in a house in SE Utah with its own well. Most of the neigborhood taps the same aquafier. Filter out the heavy metals in the water and it's more pure than anything we drink.

The house he's in right now is pretty much a shack but he's thinking of rebuilding. He's been showing me a bunch of stuff on straw bale (sp?) houses. He's been doing all sorts of homework on passive cooling and heating systems. He figures he'll be able to heat and cool his house with about 1/3 the electricity of a normal house.

He's been looking at diesel generator systems (as backup) with fuel storage. He figures that with the food storage, the well, the smart design, the generator and some diesel fuel storage, he would probably be able to run his house for about a year even if he were completely cut off from any other services.

I told him that he wouldn't be able to get high speed internet or ESPN and he considered scrapping the whole idea. I guess living cut off for a year didn't sound all that appealing anymore.
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 04:30 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

why not go solar? Seems like running a generator for a year would be a lot of trouble. In some states you get paid for the power you put onto the grid.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:20 PM   #5
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a physician that bluegoose and I have cycled with who has a giant windmill that powers his house. He gets paid for any excess electricity that he generates.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote