cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 10:52 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sword of Laban

I would like to hear Dan's take on the killing of Laban, and what the Sword of Laban has represented.

It's clear that Nephi puts a lot of time in as he writes about the event, setting it up very carefully, then adding explanations/rationale. Clearly it is something he had thought about for a long time, and dare I say, struggled with. Interesting that the sword of laban was kept all those years with other sacred records/relics.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 04:53 AM   #2
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry Mike, I don't really have a take on this topic. There are some interesting discussions you can find on Nephi's decision. I think the best analysis is not based on our societal norms and taboos, rather based on those in Judea during Nephi's time, and how it could be considered a justifiable killing by Nephi. Plus there is the D&C analysis where if an enemy comes at you thrice, he is fair game to you. The BoM only explains 2 attacks by Laban against Nephi, et. al., but there may have been much more going on or another attack. It may just be as plain as Laban being a rat, Nnephi had a just purpose, and the Lord gave Nephi special dispensation to take out Laban, a man who may have been quite worthy of death. As for the sword of Laban, it appears to be some sort of tribal heirloom sword of outstanding quality. hence it was passed along through Nephi to the following Nephi kings. It may have some mystical significance as well, but I really do not know what it would be.

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote