cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 03:04 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LDS church stepping up to the plate re: Katrina

Here in Dallas all of the sudden our plate is full.

Sending hundreds of volunteers to Louisiana and Mississippi for weekend work crews. In our ward that is happening this weekend.

And now the church has committed hundreds of volunteers to work in the Red Cross shelters. I went to the training tonight, there were 400 people there, from mutiple stakes.

Only one part bugs me: this notion that we are the best and doing things that other churches aren't doing much. When in fact it was other churches who were organized in the beginning and took the initiative to get things done. Our stake president said, "in the newspaper a woman was quoted as saying only two churches have done a good job: 'the latter-day saints and the Mormons.'" Chuckles all around.

The problem is that WE DON'T EVEN REALIZE how uninvolved and non-contributory we are, in many respects.

Pride, pride, pride.

Our ward will struggle to fill our assignments. We need 15 men to go to Louisiana, and perhaps 16 adults or so to work in the shelters (including graveyard shift). In a ward with avg. EQ attendance of 15.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 03:35 AM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Were you one of the 4100 President Hinckley mentioned yesterday?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 03:37 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

No, I will not be going to Lousiana. Too late of notice, and I can't get out of work on the weekend.

But all is well. I will likely be contributing at the shelter (this time in a non-medical role...not sure if that makes sense though--probably wont' have any psychiatrists there, and I'll be handing out water bottles).
Old 10-03-2005, 03:46 AM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LDS church stepping up to the plate re: Katrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Our stake president said, "in the newspaper a woman was quoted as saying only two churches have done a good job: 'the latter-day saints and the Mormons.'" Chuckles all around.
I have heard this exact "quote" after every disaster in the past 15 years. I can only surmise that it is legend. He didn't happen to give a source did he?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 04:16 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

No he didn't have a source. He's a lawyer. He can say anything he wants.