cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 08:59 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default white shirts

The first talk was by the 1st counselor in the bishopric, and he talked in part about the youth dressing nicely to show respect for the Lord. Then the High Councilor spoke and said that we should all be wearing white shirts and called colored shirts "fruity." As it was, I was wearing a magenta-ish shirt. The HC was actually quite energetic and and brash and entertaining.....I looked around and there were only about 2 or 3 other guys not wearing white shirts i.e. fruity.

<sigh> I thought I was doing well wearing a tie. Next thing you know they will be telling me to shave my goat!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 11:50 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some part of me revels in

wearing anything but white.

OTH, our bishop frequently wears non-white so we don't get those talks.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 07:40 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So was there ever an edict that came out in your stake

requiring white shirts and clean shaven faces? I had read of a few stakes in Utah who supposedly did so (read on Cougarboard). I have heard nothing of it here in CA.

I have nothing against white shirts. I am however greatly bothered by people who attempt to make personal preferences or opinions into church law. I tend to wear a blue shirt to church 50% of the time. Each week that I do so, the high councilor from my ward says to me "you didn't put enough bleach in that shirt brother." I cannot for the life of me figure out why anybody cares as long as the shirt is nice. I've noticed that the President of the United States can wear a blue shirt with his suit at various functions but somehow it is unbecoming a priesthood holder.

If somebody could give me any type of good reason to wear a white shirt weekly I'd be happy to do it. But generally, I am referred to a couple of sentences in a Holland talk that say white shirts should be worn when taking part in the blessing/passing of sacrament. Beyond that I've not ever read or heard anything official from anyone who has the power/authority to require such a thing. Am I missing something?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:04 PM   #4
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default something that bothers me....

is the notion that facial hair, longer hair, and non-white shirts is somehow distracting to the spirit...

it doesnt make sense to me in the slightest that there are even these ideas, opinions in a small minority of the church let alone the full majority of active members....
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:09 PM   #5
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I NEVER wear a tie to church (and rarely even for work) ...

... and I get comments from people from time to time, somewhat joking, but part serious, saying I should just wear shorts to church while I am at it. I have learned to just smile and give them the ol' 'you got me there' look. I used to tell people that God does not give a damn what I wear to church as long as it is not immodest. That would just set people off more in their holier than thou opinions of doctrine and policy ... and in their opinion "sin" on my part for lack of straping a cloth around my neck that serves no real practical purpose.

I sprained my ankle a couple months ago and I was even wearing leather sandals to church (swollen ankle) for a month or so. Man I never felt so comfortable at church. It was great. I never got as many strange looks either. But I learned to shrug those off long ago.

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:15 PM   #6
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default funny you mention sandals....

in church....

in our stake there is a growing concern that kids are wearing flip flops to church and at the beginning of summer the individual wards were asked to address this problem at the various youth camps....
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:09 AM   #7
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall
Default Our ward has a white shirt policy for the priesthood

We had a 5th Sunday combined meeting a couple of weeks ago where this was discussed by our Bishop. A few things were said as in "When Pres Hinckley starts to wear other color shirts than so will we" and so on.

He did say something interesting, though, about the preference of white shirts for those blessing/passing the sacrament. That is, if you aren't wearing one(a white shirt) then that cuts down on the pool of priesthood eligible to perform these ordinances. There are few enough priesthood (in our ward) who help with the sacrament and they would rather have all those helping with the sacrament in white shirts.
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:13 AM   #8
Bluenv

Bluenv
Default Hmmmmm

Ok here is my thought. It is the little things. The wearing of a pink shirt will NOT keep you out of the temple (ok for some it might but thats another story). But if you want to follow a good example, then you have to ask yourself, what color of Shirt President Hinkley wears. Just a thought.
Bluenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:15 AM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default maybe his secretary can't find any other color

or maybe he's color blind so white works best.

I admit he wears traditional color, but so would I probably in his position.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:18 AM   #10
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
"When Pres Hinckley starts to wear other color shirts than so will we"
Why do they have to use silly arguments if they have good reasons for these things? How about this: When the Lord starts giving me revelation for the church, I'll start wearing a white shirt, just like President Hinckley.

To be honest, since I heard of the "directive," I've been wearing only white shirts to church, because I choose to do so. (I don't think any such announcement was made in my ward.) But don't use some silly argument to justify your request. If it's because you believe it is a sign of respect for your priesthood office, then say it. If it's because of some other symbolic reason, then tell us. Don't be so cagey about it.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote