cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 05:20 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is the relationship between LDS and Mulsim religions?

Or better put, how is the LDS leadership positioning itself in relation to Islam?

On my mission, we were expressly forbidden to teach any Muslims. This only came up once during my mission (not a Muslim area). I didn't understand the practice, and I don't recall that my mission president had a good explanation. I seem to recall that some have said it is for the protection of those that would convert to our faith, that they not be punished (i.e. killed).

CNN reports that Salmon Rushdie is calling for a reformation of Islam. http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe...die/index.html

I'm afraid that's going to be received as well as ETB's grandon calling for a reformation of Mormonism.

Speaking of reformations, I have been of the opinion that in the last 20 years or so, there has been the definite trend to emphasize Christ more during meetings. This has gone hand-in-hand with a decrease in emphasis on Joseph Smith and the restoration.

So our ward has gone out of its way to assign many talks related to Joseph Smith.

(just a little aside: I am an active member, with calling etc. I've just always been interested in Mormon culture).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 05:43 AM   #2
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Well ...

... I do not know how the church is going about it in a proselytizing manner, but I think virtually all religions are very good. They all, practically, impart at least a portion of truth and light. There are so many people in the world on such different spiritual levels and they each have individual needs. Most are not spiritually ready for the restored gospel. Thank heaven they can receive a portion of light and truth (the portion that THEY need at that particular time) elsewhere. Most will not be ready for the restored gospel in their lifetime, IMO. And, again, IMO, that is ok. They are receiving all that they are ready to receive. I am glad that there are many varieties of faiths as more people can latch onto they and exercise at least some faith and belief in their life compared to if there were only a few existing religions.

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 05:59 AM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I was about halfway through my mission when the rule on teaching Muslims was announced. I was in Holland and Belgium where there are some pretty significant Muslim populations. I can honestly say though that prior to the rule I never came across a single Muslim who had one bit of interest in hearing more about Mormonism. Anyway, when the rule was announced it was by a member of the area presidency. It applied, in our mission, only to the immigrant population and not all muslims. The reasoning was that 1) it put the investigators life in danger and 2) it may put the missionaries lives in danger.

I didn't get too worked up about it because as I said, it wasn't happening anyway.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:07 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

my main problem with the practice of Islam is the notion that freedom of religion is not something to be valued. This is based on conversations I have had with Muslims here in America, that view other churches in their homelands (Iran, Yemen) as a sort of pollution or insult to their faiths and nations. "you can have your beliefs, but don't show it publicly."

I don't gather that the average Muslim has a viewpoint like what Dan posted above.

It will be interesting to see what kind of Muslim faith ends up being practiced here in America by 2nd and 3rd generation Muslim-Americans.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote