cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 07:03 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yet another meeting??????

They discussed the new missionary program (new lesson plan and approach to teaching) at our stake leadership meeting a week and a half ago. As part of the discussion, they asked that quorum and RS leaders attend the weekly ward missionary coorelation meeting. This in addition to the new meeting they introduced at the last stake leadership meeting that is supposed to take place right after the block with the missionaries and representatives from all the auxillaries. (Isn't this all starting to sound redundant?)

What is going on here? Within the past seven months, we have taken on two new meetings that are needless if, by my reckoning, (1) the ward mission leaders did their jobs, and (2) they invited the missionaries to PEC.

Is anybody else being asked to do the same? Or is this just our local leadership? I tell you, I have no desire to put my Sunday family time at the whim of some loquacious ward mission leader who has nothing else to do on Sundays.

Is this the road to apostacy?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:08 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm with you.

Our ward missionaries are already attending PEC, and now we have to have a second coreeltation meeting after the block every week? I have to go to both due to my somewhat unique overlap in callings, but this is a bit crazy, IMO.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:11 PM   #3
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I'm with you on this one.

Isn't that why we go to PEC and ward council, to bring whatever business pertains to the auxiliaries for correlation and discussion?

I may be wrong, but sounds like a meeting for the sake of having a meeting.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:13 PM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose
I may be wrong, but sounds like a meeting for the sake of having a meeting.
Amen to that. It's also nothing I've heard about out here, so I'm guessing that it is something your (myboynoah's) local leaders are doing.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:16 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hmmm meetings are not my speciality

as a ward clerk I don't have to attend too many and the bishop is perturbed that I already miss too many.

Another meeting, think not.

Correlation, as we discovered from McKay's book, is not to make doctrine just to exchange information.

OUr WML is already at PEC and Ward Council.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:19 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Our WML proposed weekly meetings with a representative from each of the auxiliaries/quorums. That got the kabosh.

Btw our WML and the missionaries attend ward council and PEC.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:50 PM   #7
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

We had something similar here for a while ... Elder worthlin called the meetings huddles (I loved the concpet :wink: ) some of the other brethren appearantly didn't and abruptly put an end to it.

The missionaries do indeed have a new study guide and are expected to teach the gospel by the spirit from a position of knowlegde and not rely upon memorized lessons ... uhm some of us did that all along :P

I have no problem saying; "why are we having this meeting again, we don't need it, that's why we have PEC etc.?" ... I am currently serving in my third bishopric, twice as counsilor and once as the man in charge LOL I guess that's why they keep me here LOL!

NEVERMIND

I don't want to be responsible for enciting revolt!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:52 PM   #8
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Fortunately, being a primary teacher right now, I don't have tons of meetings. But I remember when I was attending correlation meetings as a ward clerk, I thought that what was done in those meetings could have been done way quicker.

I understand having a spiritual thought at the beginning of a meeting, but does it really have to be a sermon?

Sometimes I think church leaders spend too much time discussing issues in meetings, instead of actually doing something about them.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:42 PM   #9
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thanks, y'all

You've confirmed what I suspected, that local leadership thinks another meeting is the secret to increasing missionary work in the stake. I think the Mission President has the ear of the SP.

Like Archeae (sp??), I'm the ward clerk, so I can always get out of meetings. My problem is that Mrs. myboynoah is the RS 1stC, and a Nephi among women. While not happy with another meeting, she "will go and do" as commanded (except when I try to command, a bigtime no no), and if not, feel bad about not doing so. In talking to her, I've been a real Laman.

My skin doesn't seem so "pure" and delightsome today.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:51 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

how do you ward clerks get out of meetings? what are you talking about? I'm the exec. sec. and I never get out of meetings.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote