cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 03:57 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Food storage: when do you share, when do you hoard?

So we have accumulated a bit of food storage. Nothing special, some wheat, some beans.

Anyway our ward is doing an inventory where they are going to ask each person exactly how much food storage they have so that they can keep record of it.

The dilemma is, should times get rough, surely the Bishop will call on those that have food storage to give to those that do not. I could even see people being asked to give all their storage so that it can be apportioned "according to need" or somesuch.

At what point do you take care of your wife and children and reap the benefits of following the prophets, and at what point do you become just another one of the masses?

It would be one thing for me to give up my life, but it would be much harder to see my wife and son die. In my human weakness, I might resent supporting those that did not heed.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:10 AM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

If Katrina taught us anything, at the most you should only need a week or two supply for your family before being carted to "safety," the rest could be used to sustain dozens or hundreds of neighbors.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 02:03 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

i'm not worried about Katrina. I'm worried about an infectious pandemic where to survive you have to avoid others and if at all possible, not leave your house for weeks or months.

Prophet didn't say 3 weeks worth of food. He said a years supply. Perhaps there is a reason for that.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:08 PM   #4
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Those are the scenarios ...

... I worry about. And without trying to sound like a Montanese militiaman, I believe a couple firearms are an essential ingredient of "food supply".

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:30 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Just a couple? LOL.

I would buy in this priority:

1. shotgun--all purpose, cheap. Highly utilitarian.
2. handgun--don't get a cheap one. Get a reliable one. Good for concealment, transportability, carrying on body at all times.
3. rifle--semiauto, so it can function in both defense and possibly for hunting.

The other thing to consider is, in a doomsday scenario (I don't really think this is likely to happen), is that guns will be worth more than money. In other words, if you couldn't buy food, you might be able to trade a gun for food.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:35 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For being a couple of liberals, you're sounding like

some Southern Utah type guys. :shock:
Old 09-20-2005, 03:53 PM   #7
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Great question...I really don't have an answer. You want to help others but you want to take care of your family. I think the bigger question is how big of a tv can you fit in the food storage? But serious question, do you also have a radio with sspare batteries...just in case?
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote