cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 03:10 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Church's efforts to help hurricane victims

I'm a little disappointed that our ward/stake appears to have organized zilch for the relief efforts.

Contrast that with many of the other churches in town.

If you were looking for a service-oriented church in Texas, you wouldn't join ours.

I read an article that Huntsman flew some General Authorities to Louisiana in his private jet to tour the area. I'm sure on the macro-level we will be doing some good things, but I think where we fail is not doing significant things at the local level with significant FUNDS. I pay more tithing in a year than the ENTIRE ward budget, and I am by no means wealthy. I think that's part of the problem.

Ouch! A lot of static electricity when you touch that ark!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This has to be

This has to be one of the most ignorant posts about the church and it's ability to respond to calamities I have ever read.

Please tell me you really don't know so little about how church welfare, relief efforts operates and where and how the church uses welfare and relief funds?

If you need to be directed on what to do go here:

http://www.providentliving.org/conte...3186-1,00.html

Other wise the Lord fully expects you to know what to do!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:58 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Well, I take exception to your post.

What does that website say to do besides donate money?

Quote:
Priesthood leaders in affected areas are directing the efforts of volunteers from nearby stakes to assist in recovery efforts.
And what would that be? What is "nearby"? I'll tell you that here in Dallas it is no specific direction at all. Zero information. Not even "call the Red Cross."

hell, i can turn on the TV and see that I can donate money. I don't need to go to the church's website to figure that out.

I don't know where you live. Maybe in Utah or something. But here in Texas, local churches far outpace the LDS church in helping with local causes.

And until you tell me 1) you don't care if they do or 2) show me how I'm wrong, I'm sticking with my opinions.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:01 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Default Re: This has to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue
Other wise the Lord fully expects you to know what to do!
If this were true we wouldn't have any flipping meetings with half the time taken up by announcements.

Give me a break. They can't say "There is a need at X place for X number of volunteers. Call this phone number X for more instructions on volunteering."

Don't tell me that the leadership can't step up the plate in a dire time of need and come up with a better effort than "volunteer opportunities exist."
Old 09-05-2005, 05:10 PM   #5
tooblue

Default Take exception

Take exception, my post was meant to be harsh. I do not live in Utah or in the United States for that matter. How long are you going to sit around and WAIT to be told what to do by your priesthood leaders.

Do you not recognize what priesthood leaders must have already done in that particular part of the world. Did you not read in that very same article, that mentioned church leaders visiting the area, that the LDS church has 5 bishop storehouses in the region that are in tact and in operation ... meaning they were PREPARED and well supplied prior to the storm and not merely flailing their arms saying; "LOOK AT US, WE ARE A RELIGION THAT HELPS!" after the fact?

Are you not aware that your tithing and fast offerings contribute to the viablity of those store houses and that the food that WAS and is there is and will feed thousands while everyone else sits back and waits for the rest of the worlds food to arrive.

Contribute a more gnerous fast offering ... it truly is the most effective way to help. And if you are so inclined dontate money and time to the Red Cross -what is wrong with simply helping out an organization that is not LDS?
Old 09-05-2005, 05:14 PM   #6
tooblue

Default Why don't

You organise the volunteers? Why don't YOU step forward and be a leader, why is that THEY must step forward and direct you?

What is stopping you ... the fact that you might not yet be the Bishop or the stake president or Elders Quorum president is irrelevant.

Do something ... what are you waiting for?
Old 09-05-2005, 05:18 PM   #7
tooblue

Default Gosh ...

You could be the Elders Quorum plattoon from Dallas that collectively joins with the Red Cross or other agency.

Mike -you are the church in Dallas!
Old 09-05-2005, 05:28 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I have emailed our bishopric and emailed the stake public affairs person. (no response from the stake).

And on my own I have volunteered my time.

It is unfortunate that this past week we had no bishopric meeting, and therefore this issue was not discussed beyond a few emails.

From what I gather the local leadership is only responding to directives from above, and the only thing that came down was find out who could host a family, and that has been canceled from what I understand.

If I was in charge, it would be different. But I am not.

making a donation does not provide the spiritual blessings of being on the ground and being involved in people's lives. that is where this whole thing fails. We have MASSIVE efforts going on in Houston, San Antonio and Dallas. That many members may not have received direction and instructions on how to help is a terrible missed opportunity.

Maybe I will ask the Bishop if I can email the ward through the ward website. I will think about it.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:45 PM   #9
tooblue

Default I do not mean

I do not mean to be unduly harsh and or to suggest that you are doing nothing more than sitting around waiting to be directed.

I have served in the position of athority in a Ward that could call the Ward to action. Understand that your Bishop may not see this as a missed opportunity because from his perspective he may only be seeing what the church is doing.

I recommend you go to him with a plan ... something like I'm headed to the Astro Dome, I have five empty seats in the van will you come with me and may I invite 4 other priesthood holders to joins us.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:13 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

My dad's region/stake near Houston is going to go to Slidell, LA to do cleanup stuff.

That's the kind of stuff I'M TALKIN ABOUT.

Church is footing the bill for bus transportation to get there.