cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 07:16 PM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looks like some folks on cougarboard have the hurricane

all figured out. Turns out God was targeting New Orleans. Nevermind that folks knew it was coming for 2 days and that it was almost exclusively the poor who had to stay behind. Comments like these frighten me.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=1405074
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:33 PM   #2
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default I don't know..

If made in the proper spirit I can appreciate what I think he is getting at.

I'm the last person to see "signs of the times" everywhere or to believe that bad acts lead to God "punishing" us temporally as individuals BUT it is irrefutable that God has punished PEOPLES in the past.

I don't think you can say with certainty one way or the other. I tend to the side of the fence that says "God doesn't really do that sort of thing and couldn't possibly be behind it" but I do feel pretty sure that wickedness, in theory, can lead to the withdrawal of protection. The BOM says this particularly with respect to the American continent.

I guess my bottom line is that I tend to not agree that this destruction was occassioned by wickedness, but I would not be shocked to learn that it was. People have been seeing the end of the world just around the corner since the moment that Christ ascended. On the other hand, the last days are coming eventually and at somepoint the doomsayers will be right.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:44 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Until revealed otherwise

I'll just check it up to natural causes. I imagine God works that way from time to time, but not very often.

Here, nobody wicked really got hurt, just the poor and elderly. Protection may have been withdrawn, but to declare it a sign of the times is something I no longer do. I may have done so as a naive missionary. I don't recall any more.

BTW, I hope you golf better than I do Dan.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:51 PM   #4
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default that train of thought....

is actually quite scary.....

especially since ive read the board and more than 1 poster has predicted, san francisco and vegas will soon meet their demise...

oh and im pretty upset no one here on the guard asked if i wanted to golf with them this weekend.....

pretty lame if you ask me.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:56 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default there are spots available, do you want to golf this weekend?

PAC will let you in.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:59 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I've golfed twice in my life, and none since high school, if that tells you anything.

Good memories. Whiffing on my first swing in front of the ward members. Rented clubs, but never occurred to me to pay for green fee. Chipping off one hole's fairway onto another. Constantly looking for my ball. Throwing ball over pond (didn't want to lose another). Good times.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:39 PM   #7
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I think people misconstrue "signs of the times" - I think people interpret things that are prophesied to happen as being intentionally caused for some purpose.

For a natural disaster (or a series of natural disasters) to be a sign of the times, it merely means that these are things that are going to happen at some point - when they do, you know the time of the second coming is drawing near.

It's like if you tell someone how to get to your house, and you tell them that there's a big tree on the side of the road, and that when you get to that, you're only a block away. You didn't put that tree there - it's merely a reference point.

Just because an occurrence is a "sign of the times" doesn't mean God caused it as some sort of punishment.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote